Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss van security, which is best in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. brs73

brs73 Electrician's Arms

hello there
    my van got broken into the other day and it seems like it was far far too easy for them to get in. one whack of of a wellplaced screwdriver and they were in.
    the back door didn't open before they damaged the lock so they done the side door too
    my van is leased so i didn't add any door locks as i have to return it the same as new.
    my lease is up soon so i was wondering which types of small/medium vans have the best door locks/security features as standard or what people have added themselves

some advice would be very much appreciated
    thanks people

Attached Files:

2. D80

D80 Guest

My company van got done the other day (again) its a Berlingo as well, but they just did the back window (again) and opened the door that way.

3. empress

empress Regular EF Member

yep vans with windows in the back are a pain and need grills on the inside to stop em just cutting the window seal removing glass and getting in.
    i've got one of em big round van locks with the bolted 2 halfs which is fine but no good on lease vehicle.
    i remember having me company van done over when i was seeing a girl at southampton in the late 80s.
    parked in drive of house overnight
    had second fix gear in the back for 12 complete houses and all me tools went too.
    got me tools back 2 weeks later when they arrested some scrotes on another job and went thru the car.
    at the time me tools were stamped which helped identify em.
    police dog gave one of em a good chew when he tried to leg it, handler said he had time to roll a fag before he decided to call him off:D
    top man.
    i have found a gsm silent alarm is the best way to deal with scum ,i,ve got them on everything of value.
    like a normal burgular alarm uses wirless pir's but totally silent ,rings yer mobile when the scrotes are in the back of yer van so they don't know yer coming.
    you can also answer the call and listen in to the action.
    e-bay around £120 key fob on off like normal car alarm,guys called jim builds em himself great guy.
    i've had a couple of "results"on other property since installing em.
    nothings to good for the scum.
    elfyn

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. D80

D80 Guest

I'd rather have something that kept the scum out, if they are in the van they have at the very least caused damage to get in.

5. empress

its obvious you'll get damage if they got in or not just from having a go.
    dead locks are great but if its dark and they dont spot em they'll still carve yer door up trying.
    stick a huge round van lock on and they think you've got something in the back worth having ya can't win either way M8.

6. JASON

JASON Electrician's Arms

Have a look for Armourplate.

They design steel plates that fit around the lock that stops them punching them through.

Not cheap though.

7. brs73

brs73 Electrician's Arms

thanks empress
    where would get get stamps for drills etc., its a last resort i know but at least the old bill might show a slight bit of interest rather than just giving a crime number.
    in london you can report crime on-line, you dont have to speak to anybody. now thats what i call a good service!!

8. empress

only had me hand tools stamped years ago ,thats all i got back .
    all power tools which were hilti at the time had been sold on.prob for £20 down local pub .
    crime number online its a crazy world.

9. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz Regular EF Member

If they want to get in they will. Just make it as hard as poss. I've got deadlock's, an alarm & a prayer.

10. brs73

brs73 Electrician's Arms

as i said before i couldn't upgrade the security cos it is a leased van,
    i was wondering if the factory fitted locks on other vans
    were as c~~p as the berlingo
    ie :ford transit connect,vw transporter etc
    cheers

11. JASON

JASON Electrician's Arms

Sorry didnt read your OP proper.

Only thing i would suggest is removing power tools whilst its unattended.

Next time you lease your new van, make sure you get it secure as part of the deal :)

12. saveloy

saveloy Regular EF Member

Hello Empress. Have you got a link or user id for the guy who you got your GSM alarm from. Cheers.

13. brs73

brs73 Electrician's Arms

saveloy
    you can type' gsm silent alarm' into ebay and there they are

14. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

I'd love to leave a police dog in the back overnight.......see what happens when some unwashed street urchin chances his arm then!!!!:cool:

15. empress

yes mate
    e-bay ID JIM19440-2
    shop GSM wirefree silent alarm systems

elfyn