Discuss Volt Stick Tip. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

If its a socket I know a few guys that trip the breaker using a plug top and then see which mcb has tripped

Thats nuts doing it like that, they could cause a lot more problems for them selves.
Or you can use a socket N see tester with audible noise and switch of the circuits one at a time till it goes quite, and if its really far use walkie talkies so your not walking back n forth or up flights of stairs.

Thats nuts doing it like that, they could cause a lot more problems for them selves.
Or you can use a socket N see tester with audible noise and switch of the circuits one at a time till it goes quite, and if its really far use walkie talkies so your not walking back n forth or up flights of stairs.

Not always practical.

For example in one place my mate searched high and low and couldn't find the db at all.

followed where the board was fed from and could see where the swa went down but nothing on floor below

In the end It was hidden in wall behind a sheet of ply screwed to wall then painted over. (Even the owner didnt know it was there)

I cant believe so many people have negative views about these, they are brillaint and save a lot of time to verify circuits and avoid removing accessory plate's untill you need to. Imaging your in a 5 storey office block testing a 36 way landlords board with no circuit chart or any details, you can not unscrew every spur and put it back till you find the circuit your after. They save heaps of time and help get the job done quicker. A great bit of kit!

as you say great piece of kit , use mine everyday , mine has a tone alert so i stick it on the circuit , place my 2 way radio next to it with the button taped on and stand at the db 50 metres away and start flicking breakers till it goes off :) , as long as your not using it to prove the circuit is dead whats the big deal about using them

Yeah, right! I don't believe a word.​

It was obviously meant in jest mate, calm down lol

How is it any different to tripping an rcd?

Because when you carry out a functional test on an RCD you are exposing the circuit to millamps at the supply end throug a resistor. Deliberately shorting a circuit to test the OCPD exposes the circuit to thousands of amps, way above it's normal capacity. Let's say the breaker happens to be faulty and doesn't trip? BBQ time!

Because when you carry out a functional test on an RCD you are exposing the circuit to millamps at the supply end throug a resistor. Deliberately shorting a circuit to test the OCPD exposes the circuit to thousands of amps, way above it's normal capacity. Let's say the breaker happens to be faulty and doesn't trip? BBQ time!

Fair enough, forgot about that tbh, same as ir is only mA

I knew you were joking and only pointed this out as that statement has the potential to influence lesser trained members/readers.

Got a Megger DCM 330 a while back,to leave in the Patrol,has a voltfinder function which is,i suppose,a glorified v-stick. It has been extremely useful,quickly pointing me in the right direction on many occasions,quite sensitive too...NOT a substitute for other test gear,but if it gets chored,i would certainly replace it. But i also bought the "x-ray glasses" off the back of a comic when i was 10,so...

Got a Megger DCM 330 a while back,to leave in the Patrol,has a voltfinder function which is,i suppose,a glorified v-stick. It has been extremely useful,quickly pointing me in the right direction on many occasions,quite sensitive too...NOT a substitute for other test gear,but if it gets chored,i would certainly replace it. But i also bought the "x-ray glasses" off the back of a comic when i was 10,so...

An early Pervert, ....and a Gullable Pervert at that!! lol!! :icon6::seeya:

If its a socket I know a few guys that trip the breaker using a plug top and then see which mcb has tripped
I remember one job it was an outside light in a hospital,very old building and the board was an old mem with about 50 rewireables in,anyway non of it was marked up so the old spark just shorted the feeds at the light and blew the fuse.I asked him how he was going to find it later,his reply was a classic "I'm on holiday for a week from tonight,let some other bugger look for it".

Reply to Volt Stick Tip. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net