Discuss Voltage in shower waste! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It was implied that the DNO had done such a test but I did re-ask the question and so far no explicit answers have been given. I was trying to rule it out but agree that we can't yet do so. However we do have numerical answers for insulation resistance that include some strange failures.

yes, it was your post I was picking up on really.
As to IR readings, again - I agree it must be significant that there are so many low results. Even the cooker I would class as low for the type of circuit!

I don't suppose the house is on a flood plain is it?

Guess that's the end of that. We will never know what problem was found

I think we're getting to the bottom of it.
The new build, as it was then, was ruffed in by a sparks, through the metal stud work, without protective grommets. The cables have now worn through and the phase is making fortuitous contact with the metalwork. Give it a few more months and we'll have a S/C.

Now how many circuits have been affected so far?
Upstairs lighting
RFC

Looks like a bit of a rewire.

I'm mightily cynical about this whole business: You've conducting water in a plastic pipe, attached to a plastic trap, attached to a plastic shower tray or porcelain bowl, sat on a wooden floor which is pulling enough current from some chaffed cable in a stud wall somewhere meters away that's sufficient to produce a tingle yet doesn't upset an RCD......

OP - I apologise, genuinely, for being this cynical, but it's just all a little too improbable! However, I do also hold a belief in the scientific approach which states that in any given problem, when ALL other possibilities have been removed, whatever remains - however implausible - has to be the truth.

However, I do also hold a belief in the scientific approach which states that in any given problem, when ALL other possibilities have been removed, whatever remains - however implausible - has to be the truth.]

Lol, cyncical? I should coco .........

Picard: Come back! Make a difference!
Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation’s grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: If Spock were here, he’d say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!

He is !

Just going to be right out there and chuck an idea in, is it any water or is it hot water, maybe a cable in contact with a water pipe an when temp increases the insulation has broken down enough to give a small voltage, of course the longer this problem the higher the voltage (possibly) just thinking outside the box really as it's seems other than tearing the house apart

I had a very similar problem, which I did post up on here.
i had found some voltage inthe running water under the electric shower.
my testing concluded there was low IR on one lighting circuit, very long story short, I found the 28w 2d fitting was connected L-E, and although some supplementary bonding was present I doubled up in the old fashioned places, retested after, and it was gone, I suspect just doing the light repair would have solved it.
the IR readings were still fairly good, nearly 2M ohm, even with the light connected wrong

Yeah, come on purple - let us know. You've had loads of good advice. Daz

Is Purple really not going to let us know how it ended? I'd really like to know? Theres been almost 5000 views!! Come on Purple!!

Last edited:

Reply to Voltage in shower waste! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net