Discuss Voltage in shower waste! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have not read the full thread, so i may be on the wrong track here, but you never know.

Is all the supplementary bonding in place where is should be? Irrespective of whether or not BS7671 says it should or doesnt have to be.

I have never had this fault, but i have had my fair share of head scratchers, and when i have eventually got to the bottom of it, the problem was usually staring me in the face. I am not trying to imply that you have overlooked anything, but i thought it worth a mention, we are all human, and frustration can fog the issue at times.

Cheers..........Howard

As the DNO have been, the seals will undoubtedly have fallen off the bullet and the main fuse has fallen out. This is a good thing as it means you can test to see whether you still have a voltage present with the installation 'dead' but the neutral still in place, something you can't do using the DP main switch. If you DO still have a voltage present then it's back-feed from somewhere outside of your installation, if you don't then it has to be yours, and start with everything off at the board then turn it all back on a circuit at a time until your problem appears.

Umm, did anybody notice those IR readings in post #55:

The following IR readings were taken with each circuit completely disconnected on 500v - 20mohm. I literally had a lead poked into the waste with he water running.

Live to water
Lights Down - 0.62
Lights Up - Clear
Skts Down - 3.07
Skts Up - 0.63
Smokes - Clear
Cooker - 13.55

Earth to water
Lights Down - 0.45
Lights Up - 0.3
Skts Down - 0.07
Skts Up - 0.07
Smokes - Clear
Cooker - 0.08

Water to Met - 0.07
Water to Neutral Bar - 2.45
Water to Bond - 0.08

Now 620kΩ from line won't kill you and won't trip an RCD, and I'm not sure it's the direct cause of the shocks, but it's unusually low and a failure anyway. The fact that two unrelated circuits are coming in with similar low insulation is rather striking. Upstairs sockets and downstairs lights both have a tale to tell, I think.

Umm, did anybody notice those IR readings in post #55:

Now 620kΩ from line won't kill you and won't trip an RCD, and I'm not sure it's the direct cause of the shocks, but it's unusually low and a failure anyway. The fact that two unrelated circuits are coming in with similar low insulation is rather striking. Upstairs sockets and downstairs lights both have a tale to tell, I think.

I looked at those and they scream that something is very very not quite right about this whole affair. It's PME, right? So, the Neutral and MET are effectively one and the same, agreed? So, how come there's 2M difference in a reading? (assumes no RCD in cct). And if we're now looking at lights AND sockets....exactly how many screws do we think have pierced these three pipes which magically stop conducting before they all join together??

If this is a genuine thread, then I think maybe a fresh pair of eyes may be needed on the job.

If suspect circuits are downstairs lighting and upstairs sockets, it seems fair to assume that at least some of the cabling shares a common route.

Could it be possible that nail or screw damage has occurred in one place to the cables and a waste pipe, causing a small water leak which not only is causing voltage to appear on that waste, but the water leak is also tracking down the outside of pipe to the external discharge point where it comes into contact with the waste water from other two pipes, thus causing voltage to appear in those too.

May not even be nail or screw penetration to cables or pipe. Could just be a combination of cable damage (rodents?) with a poorly connected and leaking waste from shower, basin, etc. This is tracking on outside of waste pipe as above.

Just thinking out loud. May be way off the mark with this thought process.

OP - what is your background / experience / testing knowledge?

Hi, I'm Mark, the homeowner, just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your time here and input and of course to my sparky. Really humbled and grateful for helping us sort the problem. If any of you want to hook up via Google+/Skype video so I can show you around the house (if this is of any use), I happy to do that.

How thoroughly checked have you for polarity reversal?

Lol sorry people! I've not abandoned you honest! Just getting as much info as pos. If you've not seen yet then I'll enlighten you.

Today I found 25v on the metal studwork in 2 seperate places oon the 1st floor. Appeared to be directly energized by the lighting circuit. However once the lighting circuit was completely removed the other circuits combined brought back 7v. Af least now I have metal to test to instead of water! To experiment I put a bond to the metal work in one room which removed the 7v however it remained in another room. So this does explain why problem is upstairs only as the 2 floors are not connected with metal stud. Hunting on...

so let me get this straight.....

we have random voltages to metalwork and pipework throughtout the building. Bonding some bits doesn't affect other bits and it all depends on the load on multiple circuits?

Do I recall right this is a PME system?

Have we really ruled out the MET floating relative to the true mass of the eath?
Was it ever tested against a earth spike (not connected to anything else) with load on all the circuits? I got the impression it was but was confused what the results were........

It was implied that the DNO had done such a test but I did re-ask the question and so far no explicit answers have been given. I was trying to rule it out but agree that we can't yet do so. However we do have numerical answers for insulation resistance that include some strange failures.

Reply to Voltage in shower waste! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net