Discuss voltage tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you know what, I have offered to work for free with numerous companies because I understand I lack the on site training. Not one company is willing to give me that chance. I'm a single mum, ex forces, reliable and trustworthy. Just trying to get back to work and provide for my family within school hours. It's impossible to get a break!

Do you know what, I have offered to work for free with numerous companies because I understand I lack the on site training. Not one company is willing to give me that chance. I'm a single mum, ex forces, reliable and trustworthy. Just trying to get back to work and provide for my family within school hours. It's impossible to get a break!
Hence our suggestion for you to join the trainee forum, you can be helped in there and, out here you are shark bait.

Offering to work for free is not necessarily going to be all that attractive to employers. And if any do take you on they are likely to be somewhat unscrupulous and short on morals, you'll be treated like a free labourer.

Add you location to your profile and maybe put a post about looking for work on the forum. You might find someone who will help

why is it crap? you isolate and then using a voltage indicator carry out the 10 point check.

Never heard of the 10 point check, can you enlighten me? oh and before anyone has a go I do know how to isolate safely, just intrigued by the 10 point check.

I think there's some folk at cross purposes here. It's not helped by Screwfix using incorrect terminology. Here's what Mark (MDF) thinks the OP is referring to:

ae235
from this web page: LAP MS8902H AC Voltage Detector Pen | Voltage Testers | NoLinkingToThis

Here is (I think) what Sonia is referring to:
ae235
... from this web page: LAP Voltage Tester | Voltage Testers | NoLinkingToThis

Note that Screwfix (and Sonia) incorrectly refer to this as a "Voltage Tester". Whether it meets the requirements of GS38 or not I don't know. But it's the right tool for the job. <-- Edit: alright, let's change that to "closer to the right tool for the job." Looking at the photo, it looks more like a glorified multimeter than an AVI. Too complicated for the job.

Screwfix also call this a "Voltage tester": Kewtech KT1780/S AC/DC Voltage Tester | Voltage Testers | NoLinkingToThis
... and that definitely is an "Approved Voltage Indicator."

So. Terminology is important. As 3 pages of posts illustrates, if you use the wrong terminology, the best that can happen is some folk get the hump, the worst that can happen is someone reads something (that's incorrect), thinks they know what they're doing, and kills themself or someone else.

Now. Where's that beer? :) Peace, all.

Last edited:
I think there's some folk at cross purposes here. It's not helped by Screwfix using incorrect terminology. Here's what Mark (MDF) thinks the OP is referring to:

ae235
from this web page: LAP MS8902H AC Voltage Detector Pen | Voltage Testers | NoLinkingToThis

Here is (I think) what Sonia is referring to:
ae235
... from this web page: LAP Voltage Tester | Voltage Testers | NoLinkingToThis

Note that Screwfix (and Sonia) incorrectly refer to this as a "Voltage Tester". Whether it meets the requirements of GS38 or not I don't know. But it's the right tool for the job.

Screwfix also call this a "Voltage tester": Kewtech KT1780/S AC/DC Voltage Tester | Voltage Testers | NoLinkingToThis
... and that definitely is an "Approved Voltage Indicator."

So. Terminology is important. As 3 pages of posts illustrates, if you use the wrong terminology, the best that can happen is some folk get the hump, the worst that can happen is someone reads something (that's incorrect), thinks they know what they're doing, and kills themself or someone else.

Now. Where's that beer? :) Peace, all.

Unless you want to use GS38 terminology and call it a voltage detection instrument!

It's not so much that they are using incorrect terminology, it's more the fact that 'Voltage Tester' can mean different things, whether it's a fully approved tester or just a volt-stick. Daz

Reply to voltage tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net