Discuss voltage tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you know what, I have offered to work for free with numerous companies because I understand I lack the on site training. Not one company is willing to give me that chance. I'm a single mum, ex forces, reliable and trustworthy. Just trying to get back to work and provide for my family within school hours. It's impossible to get a break!

Difficult but not impossible sonia
Try your local contractors,not by mail but in person,turn up on their doorstep and opt for paid work as a mate,don't offer free labour,it will attract the seediest type of employer,it will do you no good

Being armed forces trained that should be a big plus in your favour in your search
the training in the forces is excellent

Oh and don't listen to recommendations of garbage,get yourself a Fluke lol

Last edited:
Okay guys, please can we be less abrasive and not jump into threads boots first, whilst Sonia may be inexperienced her question had merit. I've removed some of the less savory posts.

Do you know what, I have offered to work for free with numerous companies because I understand I lack the on site training. Not one company is willing to give me that chance. I'm a single mum, ex forces, reliable and trustworthy. Just trying to get back to work and provide for my family within school hours. It's impossible to get a break!

Hi there Sonia, there are a few ex Forces on here, welcome. What were you doing in the Forces?

Hi

I am probably going to sound stupid asking this question but here goes. I have just bought a new LAP voltage tester. when testing my plug sockets using a socket test connector I am getting a reading of .410V. Now this is where I will probably sound stupid but I was expecting around the 230V as is the voltage provided in uk houses. Can someone put me right please.

sonia
Either user error, no voltage at the socket outlet, or a faulty tester, To finish without trying to be insulting can you confirm how you actually obtained this reading with the equipment you have mentioned?

Oo you probably don't want to know what I did in the forces. I was an RAF POLICEWOMAN! And Monday i am putting a new fuse board in my mums church. I'm doing the job free and have another electrician to give advice and check my work for me.

Either user error, no voltage at the socket outlet, or a faulty tester, To finish without trying to be insulting can you confirm how you actually obtained this reading with the equipment you have mentioned?

Hi I put my kewtech socket tester in my house plug socket. Put the probes into the live and neutral (correctly!) and the reading was .410 volts.

Hi I put my kewtech socket tester in my house plug socket. Put the probes into the live and neutral (correctly!) and the reading was .410 volts.
Well back to your earlier statement sonia regarding a voltage proving unit, I agree with you that you need to get one. If when you have tested your unit with your new proving unit it becomes apparant the unit is faulty my advice would be to replace it straight away. I would suggest with a reading which you mentioned your unit is indeed faulty, I hope though it is just user error( rookie mistake) as they are not cheap.

I only bought it today so I am going to take it back anyway. I have ordered a new one and a proving unit. I completed my pat course today so I've got a meter in order too. An expensive Friday!

The seaward prime 100 with all extensions was £359 in vat and the martindale tester and probing unit was £129 inc. phew
Crikey relatively cheap compaired to other courses we have heard about, I have seen many posts where the members starting them have mentioned upwards of a grand for a pat testing course, you at under 500 all in have got away without being scanked, probing units are around 80 notes usually so you are not being ripped off with the price of the test kit at least.

Crikey relatively cheap compaired to other courses we have heard about, I have seen many posts where the members starting them have mentioned upwards of a grand for a pat testing course, you at under 500 all in have got away without being scanked, probing units are around 80 notes usually so you are not being ripped off with the price of the test kit at least.

I think the seaward prime 100 is a pat tester, not a course?

Mi have bought the voltage indicator and proving unit so £129 isn't that bad either. The seaward was the pat tester we used in the course and it was frat. And u agree overall a great price.

Mi have bought the voltage indicator and proving unit so £129 isn't that bad either. The seaward was the pat tester we used in the course and it was frat. And u agree overall a great price.
well for decent indicators and a proving unit 129 is pretty good, I paid about the same for my ethos kit, mind you the indicators were digital and also were continuity testers.

Reply to voltage tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net