Discuss voltage tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

According to GS38 this equipment meets the requirement. I need it for monday, screwfix is the easiest place for me to go. Would you recommend I just upgrade to the kewtech voltage tester.

I use the Kewtech AVI that Screwfix sell, and I'm very happy with it, plus I also have the Kewtech proving unit. Actually I have a Kewtech MFT, and various other Kewtech accessories, I suppose I'm somewhat of a Kewtech fanboy. But as mentioned in one or two other posts, there are other brands that will do just as well.

Point 1 - L1 - L2
2 - L1 - L3
3 - L2 - L3
4 - L1 - N
5 - L2 - N
6 - L3 - N
7 - L1 - E
8 - L2 - E
9 - L3 - E
10 - N - E

What about proving your indicator before and after, locking off and fitting warning signs thats another three at least lol

What about them? You asked what the 10 point check is, not what the whole isolation procedure is.

Yes you are correct I did, but the OP said that to complete the safe isolatio then the 10 point method was the way to go which clearly it isn't.

I think what we are dealing with here is another ex forces person that has been hood winked by both the RAF and the training centre into thinking that after 5 weeks of classroom training they are now competent to enter peoples homes and conduct electrical work.

It's about time the MOD make a concerted effort and provide the necessary resources to adequately re-train it's exiting personnel for civilian life, and NOT just aim for the lowest possible denominator in any trade based occupation...

The OP needs at the very least to shadow whoever this electrician is that is going to be with her for this CU board change for at least a year. Even then, she will not possess the core technical qualifications that's needed by anyone conducting electrical installation/repair work, be it domestic or any other sector!!

I think what we are dealing with here is another ex forces person that has been hood winked by both the RAF and the training centre into thinking that after 5 weeks of classroom training they are now competent to enter peoples homes and conduct electrical work.

It's about time the MOD make a concerted effort and provide the necessary resources to adequately re-train it's exiting personnel for civilian life, and NOT just aim for the lowest possible denominator in any trade based occupation...

The OP needs at the very least to shadow whoever this electrician is that is going to be with her for this CU board change for at least a year. Even then, she will not possess the core technical qualifications that's needed by anyone conducting electrical installation/repair work, be it domestic or any other sector!!

E54,

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter. Like many other matters discussed in this and other fora over the years, at one level 'our' opinions do not matter! We are all entitled to hold opinions, even the freedom or otherwise of speech does not prevent this. Often therefore this becomes a place of complaint and bitterness. I do not know whether there are any members on here who are both listening to your concerns and in a position to directly address them. Those who do listen are almost certainly people who have been 'through the system', part of which you have a naturally abiding dislike, bordering on hatred of!

Would it be fair to say that we both as 'Engineers' look for a well presented case with suitable evidence upon which to base our day-to-day decisions in both our work and our out of work activity? I understand your use of logical argument regarding the risk that individuals with insufficient knowledge may present to the 'paying' and often blissfully unaware or sometimes plain ignorant customer. I also value your experience in this field ... I would be foolish not to. If you ... or we ... which I do, want to achieve change to improve the safety of users of electrical installations then we need hard evidence upon which to base a case. Today, a case against the MOD regarding their encouragement of ex employees to take courses that do not prepare them adequately for future employment.

Having 'been through the system' I have valuable information and direction to provide in identifying where leverage might be applied and the mindset of those who occupy and operate 'the system' that is the MOD. So too do the OP and others with whom you have textually 'jousted' over the years. There are those who have served 'Queen and Country' who have left the Armed Forces and set up successful and thriving businesses in the realm that you have committed your life to. I hope that you, and others on here would applaud the industry and commitment that we show and not stand in the way of those of us who are seeking to follow in their and your footsteps.

I think everyone here is proud of our armed forces personnel, and as such the MOD should be making a concerted effort to improve those service men and women's needs when it comes to re-training at the end of their service.

Those that enter the electrical industry without any background knowledge or training in electrical work during their forces service, should not just be introduced to a MOD contracted training centre, and given training, that cannot and will not provide that person with the required technical and/or practical skills to adequately prepare them for the positions they are intending to follow.

Now it wouldn't/doesn't take too much research by the MOD to be aware that these less than basic 5 week courses and the like, cannot by any stretch of the imagination make any previously lay person competent or satisfactorily skilled to undertake paid electrical work.

I very much doubt that any lay ex-serviceman has completed one of these 5 week courses and set up thriving businesses on the back of that course. Nothing to say that they are not good business men and started companies that's core is based on employed qualified electricians, but it certainly wouldn't be based on any training gained from these worthless but money making short courses....

I applaud anyone that is willing to apply time and effort and commitment to achieving their goals in this industry, that's how i had to it and i'm sure every other qualified Engineer and Electrician out there. So no i would not stand in the way of anyone improveing their lot in this life.

Anyway, let's not go down this same old path, i was merely making an observation in my post on this thread. Let's now keep this on subject eg voltage testers and how and when to use them....

Anyway, let's not go down this same old path, i was merely making an observation in my post on this thread. Let's now keep this on subject eg voltage testers and how and when to use them....

Thanks for the 'on message' prompt ... on thread in this case. If change is wanted then it takes effort. I appreciate your response and have a reply ... I will not post it here but would appreciate your thoughts on where we might discuss. You have however, made bold statements about the RAF and MOD. I have an allegiance to these organisations though stretched very 'thin'. I also have growing concerns given my participation here and my own experience that I would like to address.

GBK,

To be honest I can’t see how you can expect people differentiate between former services personnel and former office workers, etc.

Fast track training courses do not give the experience required to safely work on electrical installations. I doubt you will find many will argue the point.

GBK,

To be honest I can’t see how you can expect people differentiate between former services personnel and former office workers, etc.

Fast track training courses do not give the experience required to safely work on electrical installations. I doubt you will find many will argue the point.

If you are referring to customers telling the difference I do not expect that ... E54 criticism was levelled at the RAF and MOD, I assume corporately, 'hoodwinking' Sonia and others. If there is evidence that ex-serving personnel who have been through the resettlement funded by the MOD are a hazard to themselves and the public then I am almost completely certain that this is an issue that they would wish to address. The reputation of the Royal Air Force and the other services, their ex serving personnel, and the MOD is on the line here. There are routes which may allow the case to be made to restrict resettlement course attendance for certain courses to those who have adequate previous transferable experience.

If you are referring to customers telling the difference I do not expect that ... E54 criticism was levelled at the RAF and MOD, I assume corporately, 'hoodwinking' Sonia and others. If there is evidence that ex-serving personnel who have been through the resettlement funded by the MOD are a hazard to themselves and the public then I am almost completely certain that this is an issue that they would wish to address. The reputation of the Royal Air Force and the other services, their ex serving personnel, and the MOD is on the line here. There are routes which may allow the case to be made to restrict resettlement course attendance for certain courses to those who have adequate previous transferable experience.

That clearly is something that needs to be addressed.

Back to my last post:
I was referring to fully qualified time served tradesmen giving recognition to short courses. Why should they?

Call me bigoted if you like but I’ll never recognise someone that has spent five weeks in a training centre as a competent tradesman. No matter what their background is.

Reply to voltage tester in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net