Discuss What price for second fix flat in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mkmukok

Hi guys I`d like to ask about pricing of second fix a flat, as I have litlle experience in domestic jobs.
I was offered to do a second fix on a new build 2bed flat, where somebody allready was done the first fix.
The flat is entirely built with stud walls and the dry lining boxes are not fixed yet.
17th ed CU to be fixed and to be fed from SWA.
Bedrooms have about 10 downlights and 2 bedside lights and 2 gang swich.
Corridor-2 lights, 2 way swich and intermediate.
There are 2 bathrooms too – each with mirror light, downlights, shaver, and fan with transformer and isolator.
3 smokes to be fited interlinked.
Kitchen and living room are with downlights too.
I was offered £330, and it is 15 miles to the job.
[FONT=&quot]Thank you
[/FONT]

Yes, I was to the site yesterday, first fix was done very good and tidy, plasterboords are still open so I could see.
Builder told me that he have asked the electrician for installation sertificate that`s why he could not finished the job.!!!
I`m going to ask a friend to inspect and certifay( I know its not recomended, but...), price is not included in second fix price.
I am tempted to do the testing myself and book an assesment with NAPIT but I am very short for money right now as I have to pay for my 2391 next week.
What I have spotted is that sockets are lower then recomended 450mm from FFL and CU is 2200mm from FFL well above 1200mm recomended from 17th , could this be a problem?
There are 4 flats alltogether.

A new dwelling has to comply with the regs and that may be one reason why the original person did not or would not issue a certificate. What do you do if the hidden wiring is not as per the regs. I would do the second fix and inform the client he will have to call in building control that way if anything is wrong with the installation you are covered.

As for pricing its not your fault that the customer used someone who could not complete the job your price is your price. Heart sob stories may reduce you to tears but they dont pay the bills.

Chris

As a rule i wouldn't carry on someone elses install, if i did, i would be asking double what you have been offered, remember your doing them a favour, not the other way around.

330 is too lowto warrant what you are doing, especially finishing work you have no idea what ahs been done, i would stay clear

That is sound advice. If there is anything wrong with the first fix, it will come back to bite you firmly on the (NO SWEARING).
I got caught like this once before when I was a young'un, two way lighting was all screwed up and I got caught to fix it, needless to say there was no profit on that one.
be careful, be wary, be suspicious and charge at leat twice what your original thought was.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is sound advice. If there is anything wrong with the first fix, it will come back to bite you firmly on the (NO SWEARING).
I got caught like this once before when I was a young'un, two way lighting was all screwed up and I got caught to fix it, needless to say there was no profit on that one.
be careful, be wary, be suspicious and charge at leat twice what your original thought was.

Thank you guys for advises, I have inspected the first fix and to be honest, I could not have done it better!Realy nice job.All cables were marked and wired in the wiring zones.
But as you said £330 looks very tight and should not include any fault findind(cables naled etc. !)
I am still suspicious about the job, because I did not get payed for my last 2 jobs, It seems companies tend to cut money for subies with the excuse they have not been payed as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a rough guide for the future" any customer that is in a rush or hasn't asked for a discount, is a potential non payer" ............ who is ever in a rush to spend money or doesn't want it cheaper :cool:

Thank you guys for advises, I have inspected the first fix and to be honest, I could not have done it better!Realy nice job.All cables were marked and wired in the wiring zones.
But as you said £330 looks very tight and should not include any fault findind(cables naled etc. !)
I am still suspicious about the job, because I did not get payed for my last 2 jobs, It seems companies tend to cut money for subies with the excuse they have not been payed as well.
That's probably why the first spark walked away,not been paid.Ask him for half money up front and see what the builder says;)

If i think there is something dodgy with the builder i ask them to pay upfront at the begining of the job. I explain that this is standard proceduer with my company for the first job with a new client, and after that any further works can be paid on completion. If they are genuine they dont seem to mind, if not at least you're not ripped off.

I have used this with a couple of builders who have turned me away, alas, the electrician that completed the work never got paid

Agree 100% with others I would say
1) Double your price.
2) Half up front (Cus I need to cover materials) remainder on completion.
3) If they say no,walk away.

Reply to What price for second fix flat in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net