Discuss Where can I get parts to repair a customers broken lamp post? Only two of the three lamps work but all are badly corroded. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
Lampost.jpg
Lampost 1.jpg

Jeez that looks like something out of Kew Gardens. Did the shop not have a smaller model that might fit in more with a modern housing estate?

Sorry, that might not be much help really ?

Can you get replacement holders and swap them out? What sort of fitting are they?

Don't know if yours are the same, but I have some that have a collar half way up the main post that is a clamp to the upper part, when the Allen bolts around the collar are undone the upper post slides into the lower part of the lamp post, the only thing to take care with is the cable to the post usually accessible through a panel on the outside of the base, this needs careful manipulating as the post is lowered.

Don't know if yours are the same, but I have some that have a collar half way up the main post that is a clamp to the upper part, when the Allen bolts around the collar are undone the upper post slides into the lower part of the lamp post, the only thing to take care with is the cable to the post usually accessible through a panel on the outside of the base, this needs careful manipulating as the post is lowered.
Looks like it's constructed like this in the last pic. The top of the post, at the bottom of the pic. looks like it's iron, and the three branch bit and lamps look like alloy.

Looks like it's constructed like this in the last pic. The top of the post, at the bottom of the pic. looks like it's iron, and the three branch bit and lamps look like alloy.
I think you are correct. I know there are a lot of reproductions around but I think this is an original cast iron lamp post with the original top removed and replaced with an aluminium top. I think I'll try to remove the lampholders and replace them. I suspect the original filament bulbs kept everything warm and dry unlike the LED's. Nothing I can do about that.

I think that may be the case, especially as the polycarbonate inside the lamp has gone that lovely shade of Orange that they all do with age, cast iron post normally will take the load of a ladder if adequately fixed at the bottom, but I would be tempted to take a small tower to site and access them that way, TLC sell lamp posts similar to the one shown, I am sure they could get replacements/spares they are normally very good that way.

Reply to Where can I get parts to repair a customers broken lamp post? Only two of the three lamps work but all are badly corroded. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net