Discuss Where to get special tool to undo light fitting screw? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello EalingBadger,

Screwfix and Toolstation sell `Security Screwdriver bits` sets which have a couple of `U Tip` bits but I think that they would be too small to fit the screws that You showed in the photo ?

You will probably need a larger version of those `U Tip` bits - or as Members have already mentioned make a tool from a flat blade screwdriver by slotting it.

Here is a link to a set at Toolstation:

Security Screwdriver Bit Set 75mm - https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Bit+Sets/sd650/Security+Screwdriver+Bit+Set+75mm/p37470

I tried to attach a JPEG picture of the set but I got a Forum Error message.

EDIT: Member haptism beat me to it with a link to a similar set.

Regards,

Chris

The obvious option of bodging it with a grinder is what I am trying to avoid if at all possible.
Why is that a bodge? In certain engineering trades, being able to make turnscrews and other similar tools was part of the training.

I can understand you not wanting to spend "a lot" of time making the correct fitting driver, but I suspect you have spent longer asking about it on here than it would actually take to make!!

Given you have a screw to work from, ten minutes with a Dermal and a couple of needle files should produce something that is very professional looking...

The original tool will just be a stamped piece of sheet metal much like Mk fish keys are.
A pain to use on multiple screws.

You're better off with a modified screwdriver as people keep suggesting.

Why is that a bodge? In certain engineering trades, being able to make turnscrews and other similar tools was part of the training.

I can understand you not wanting to spend "a lot" of time making the correct fitting driver, but I suspect you have spent longer asking about it on here than it would actually take to make!!

Given you have a screw to work from, ten minutes with a Dermal and a couple of needle files should produce something that is very professional looking...

All agreed - the exercise is rapidly approaching the point where repairing to the workshop and wielding the angle grinder may be the only way forward.

The thing is, half the time anything I hit with a grinder does end up looking rather like a bit of a dog's dinner - hence why my preference was for the real tool if at all possible. I'm sure the church couldn't give two hoots what any tool might end up looking like (but I have my professional pride...)

I think you want a size 16 for that...

Spanner-Technical-data.jpg

Reply to Where to get special tool to undo light fitting screw? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net