Discuss Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You are free to reply or not to......as you a free to jump off a bridge if you so wish.
I or any other mod will not advise you to do either...your choice.

Okaaay, let's drag this back on topic if we can manage. I'll put my hand up as one of the (at this point 2) respondents for 'Training, full apprenticeship' as to my mind, this should be the default pathway into being an electrician. The relevant licensing bodies can argue about recognition of alternate learning and work experience, but for kids coming out of school or people looking for a career change (me again) there should be a simple answer to the question "How do I become an electrician?"

From what I can see of the DI/Electrical Trainee brigade on this forum, they seem mostly to get themselves into trouble when they step outside of the 'installer' boundary into design and fault finding. I can see the use in a limited qualification, bounded by tight and conservative proscriptions regarding cable selection and installation practices to ensure someone without comprehensive knowledge of the standards can be assured they are complying. You would not expect a brickie's labourer to know about load-bearing calculations, you just tell him what to do and how. Leave fancy design and faults to properly trained electricians.

careful tony. else the mods will be taking away your grumpy git badge. :ack2:

i put electrical engineer as i did a full HND apprenticeship . the hands-on experience took longer, suppose i could class myself as "electrician other", as that's what i've worked as for the last 20+ years.

Question: What do you calla scouser with an HND?

Answer: A liar!!! :)

you rotten tyneside git. i earned it. i've got it, and nobody's going to take it away. OK, it's in motor theft and shoplifting, but it's still a HND.:frown2::driving:

scousers rejected the euro with a kop end kiss, which might be coming your way. after that gobby geordie. :mad::grin::mad2::mad2::74:

This poll is for all Forum members. Please read the poll carefully and then choose the best description in the context of your membership of the forum. I can't include all options, so you might like to go into more detail by posting in the thread.

The poll is confidential (forum names are not visible).

For the purposes of the poll:
'Apprenticeship' means a pre-planned formal arrangement for multiple years of structured classroom and on-the-job training.
'Short Course' means a concentrated course of less than 6 weeks of mostly classroom based learning. (Just a C&G 2381 / 2382 'regs' course doesn't count.)
'Electrician' means anyone doing hands-on installation, maintenance, repair or testing of electrical systems (normally for payment) and includes 'domestic installer'.

It's a shame you added that bit Handy, as I think quite a few of the DI courses are longer than that. Mine was 6 months and I have seen others around 17 weeks, but I wouldn't class myself as having done anything else apart from a 'short course', as thats what it was compared to an apprenticeship.

It would have been interesting to see how many DI's are actually on the site, but I think alot of them will tick electrician 'other' as the course will have been over 6 weeks, so we may not get a real picture of how many are on the forum.

It's a shame you added that bit Handy, as I think quite a few of the DI courses are longer than that. Mine was 6 months and I have seen others around 17 weeks, but I wouldn't class myself as having done anything else apart from a 'short course', as thats what it was compared to an apprenticeship.

It would have been interesting to see how many DI's are actually on the site, but I think alot of them will tick electrician 'other' as the course will have been over 6 weeks, so we may not get a real picture of how many are on the forum.

If you please don't mind me asking, after doing your course, have you trained as far as you wish to go or will you carry on and do an NVQ3, Get Graded ECS/JIB etc?

If you please don't mind me asking, after doing your course, have you trained as far as you wish to go or will you carry on and do an NVQ3, Get Graded ECS/JIB etc?

Well seeing as though you have asked in such a polite manner I can hardly refuse :smile5:

At some point in the future I will complete NVQ level 3 2365 and am looking forward to it. I'm not entirely sure what is involved with getting a Jib grade, but I am solely interested in Domestic work.

...I am not a number...i am a free man... i think i will have to go with Vic on this one,in that 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Anybody interested enough,can come round me pad,have a brew,and i will give chapter and verse,with the proof to hand. Any other way,gets close to internet dating,with heights,careers and hair colour,all possibly given a shiny buff.
For example,would a survey that asked every member (male,on this occasion) did he consider his appendage,above or below average size,give us an accurate picture?
Still,it fills the gap pre;New Year :icon12:

When I left the RAF, I attempted to join the JIB, as I believed it was the correct course of action for the work I intended to do.
Unfortunately, they informed me that my qualifications, apprenticeship and experience were not acceptable.
They told me that I would have to first obtain civilian qualifications.
During my 2 year course for the 2360, I discovered that there was no necessecity for me to join the JIB, however I continued and completed the course, as I had paid up front.
I subsequently some years later found that I required the JIB/ECS card to be able to work on the majority of building sites. So taking the course was in fact some use.
However even today the JIB card is not necessary for domestic work, and is not even accepted for conducting EICRs by LABCs and many Insurance companies.

I take your point; I did hesitate to put a timescale in. I'm probably not familiar enough with the various courses available to have drawn the line at the correct time for differentiating 'short courses' from anything else.

I'm not entirely sure what I expected to come of it other than perhaps to prompt members into describing some of the alternative routes into the job, despite some believing that there is only 'one true path to enlightenment'.

...I am not a number...i am a free man... i think i will have to go with Vic on this one,in that 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Anybody interested enough,can come round me pad,have a brew,and i will give chapter and verse,with the proof to hand. Any other way,gets close to internet dating,with heights,careers and hair colour,all possibly given a shiny buff.
For example,would a survey that asked every member (male,on this occasion) did he consider his appendage,above or below average size,give us an accurate picture?
Still,it fills the gap pre;New Year :icon12:

The only information that I can reliably conclude from the poll (so far) is that fewer than 5% of the viewers of this thread actually participate in the poll. So there! :frown:

I have put Electrical Engineer as that is the closest to the Electrical/Mechanical role I had in the Royal Navy. However I have also completed short courses, and am considering working as a DI in the near future.

4 year Engineering Apprenticeship
ONC Electrical Engineering
HNC Engineering
CG 2382
CG 2393
CG 2394
CITB DI course.

I have put Electrical Engineer as that is the closest to the Electrical/Mechanical role I had in the Royal Navy. However I have also completed short courses, and am considering working as a DI in the near future.

4 year Engineering Apprenticeship
ONC Electrical Engineering
HNC Engineering
CG 2382
CG 2393
CG 2394
CITB DI course

What the hell is that course?

Reply to Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net