Discuss Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What the hell is that course?

It's a CITB Cskills award for Full Scope Part P. It's approved by NAPIT for joining their scheme apparently, and has a contact number for NAPIT on the cert. It was part of a 'Part P' bundle of courses on leaving the forces.

Edit. It doesn't actually say DI on the cert so a bit misleading, I just put that as the course didn't really have a title as such.

Last edited:
Well seeing as though you have asked in such a polite manner I can hardly refuse :smile5:

At some point in the future I will complete NVQ level 3 2365 and am looking forward to it. I'm not entirely sure what is involved with getting a Jib grade, but I am solely interested in Domestic work.

You know your trouble don't you Happy?

You're just far too "nice" for your own good.

You should have telt the nosy git to mind his own Flukeing business & jog on!! :santa3:

(just kidding ....... honest!! :) )

It's a CITB Cskills award for Full Scope Part P. It's approved by NAPIT for joining their scheme apparently, and has a contact number for NAPIT on the cert. It was part of a 'Part P' bundle of courses on leaving the forces.

Edit. It doesn't actually say DI on the cert so a bit misleading, I just put that as the course didn't really have a title as such.
...And this,i feel ,is part of the problem concerning the quoting of qualifications and governing bodies. A lot of folk will not be impressed with a quals No. unless they know WHEN you did it. Which may,or may not be fair. The CITB is a case in point,regarding confusion of this nature.
At its instigation,it was a "benchmark" stated qual,then over the years,areas covered extended,card titles changed yearly,and the courses got handed out to third party instructing companies,to the point where,in the plant job,any dude with a yard and machine,could hand cards out.
We see this developing now with the 2391 "snobbery",where folk don't just want to know IF you hold it,but when and how you got it. This is natural,and i am by no means excluding myself,from these reactions.
So,does a "menu" list of a chaps credentials tell me all about him? No. Would a 20 minute chat,over a cup of tea?....i reckon so...a mans got to know his limitations...:icon12:

...And this,i feel ,is part of the problem concerning the quoting of qualifications and governing bodies. A lot of folk will not be impressed with a quals No. unless they know WHEN you did it.

Bollox!

Say I've got a BEng(Hons) in Electrical Engineering, 3 years hard work.

Are you suggesting that I have to redo it every 10 or 15 years or so?
If one has spent the time and effort to gain any quals, when you did it is irrelevant. They show you have the ability to learn (which hopefully won't diminish too much with time!) Quals aren't like MOTs!!!
That's why I think having to get the latest edition regs qual is a load of balls, apart from the fact it's a load of anyway! :)

That's why I think having to get the latest edition regs qual is a load of balls, apart from the fact it's a load of anyway! :)
That was decided some time in the dim and distant past and no one knows by whom, I'm pretty confident that I'll still be able to find stuff in the book when the 18th is thrust upon us.
Once should be enough

Bollox!

Say I've got a BEng(Hons) in Electrical Engineering, 3 years hard work.

Are you suggesting that I have to redo it every 10 or 15 years or so?
If one has spent the time and effort to gain any quals, when you did it is irrelevant. They show you have the ability to learn (which hopefully won't diminish too much with time!) Quals aren't like MOTs!!!
No,my friend,i did not anywhere suggest that Re-sitting was required. What i alluded to,and you may have even pondered the fact yourself,was the change in standards and thresholds.
I bet you have considered whether or not the standards of the current qualification,are equitable with those at the time you completed yours.
Some are very easy to check,for example,get a 1980's physics "O" level exam paper,and put it next to the current exam.
The ONLY reason i posted,was not to disrespect any one persons qualifications,but to critique judging a persons acumen based on a simple list of numbers.
But i take your point,i'm boogered if anyone thinks i'm doing that cycling proficiency badge again...

...And this,i feel ,is part of the problem concerning the quoting of qualifications and governing bodies. A lot of folk will not be impressed with a quals No. unless they know WHEN you did it. Which may,or may not be fair. The CITB is a case in point,regarding confusion of this nature.
At its instigation,it was a "benchmark" stated qual,then over the years,areas covered extended,card titles changed yearly,and the courses got handed out to third party instructing companies,to the point where,in the plant job,any dude with a yard and machine,could hand cards out.
We see this developing now with the 2391 "snobbery",where folk don't just want to know IF you hold it,but when and how you got it. This is natural,and i am by no means excluding myself,from these reactions.
So,does a "menu" list of a chaps credentials tell me all about him? No. Would a 20 minute chat,over a cup of tea?....i reckon so...a mans got to know his limitations...:icon12:

Peg, the only reason I did the 'part p' bundle was that I was in the process of buying a flat that needed a fair bit of electrical work. (or so I originally thought). It wasn't till after I booked in that I realised I would have to shell out to a scheme. However, having completed the courses, I now feel I might actually use them, but haven't completely decided yet.

BTW, I have completed necessary work on the flat. I have tested and certified. But I have not submitted for building regs. I might reconsider if selling the flat, or.. If I do join a scheme at some point I might fudge the dates and notify it.

Post 63 got my like PEG as I read it the way you meant. Older quals worth more.
Cheers,sometimes it is hard to raise an issue that does not instantly polarise debate,and form yet another bone-of-contention...and i have seen evidence of these misnomers,at BOTH ends of the spectrum...at one end,you may have the older professional,who did his quals 30 years ago,or,my own mother,who after a lifetime as a journalist,waited until her retirement,to complete an English Language and Literature Degree (1:1) then a Masters (Distinction)
Does one have any more right than the other,to be proud of their qualifications? No.
Although,to nod to your reply,my mother said most of the other students on her course,would not have gained entry 30 years ago,due to inability to spell or punctuate...
Old isn't bad...i have a dirty chimney,and a handy 6 year old...current regs prevent me from solving one problem,with the other :conehead:

I'll say one thing. The courses with computer based multi choice exams are a farce. Many are open book ffs.

Also the citb course I did was not properly assessed. The guy next to me (it was booth based) was extremely dangerous on various levels(he was a young lad with no previous electrical experience.) But he passed?

Short course training Imo is pretty crap. But.... That is the course not the man. As any will have seen in previous threads I do not hold with the generalisation that all Electrical Trainee must be crap. (Sorry, not trying to start the same argument again).

I admire your honesty,and all of these points are open to that taciturn bedfellow..."interpretation" I suppose a valid argument could be made,regarding sheer number of regulations,and their changing nature,which "open book" exams,cater for.

Whereas,years back,you just needed to remember VIR colours,and that both line and neutral main fuses were in...:ack2:
Obviously,stretching the point here,but if we are expecting forum members to agree on a class-less,communist approach to qualifications,i'll go get the picnic...:icon12:

I admire your honesty,and all of these points are open to that taciturn bedfellow..."interpretation" I suppose a valid argument could be made,regarding sheer number of regulations,and their changing nature,which "open book" exams,cater for.

Whereas,years back,you just needed to remember VIR colours,and that both line and neutral main fuses were in...:ack2:
Obviously,stretching the point here,but if we are expecting forum members to agree on a class-less,communist approach to qualifications,i'll go get the picnic...:icon12:

My Ex-wife described to perfection in just two words!!

Well done - I salute you Sir!! :)

No,my friend,i did not anywhere suggest that Re-sitting was required. What i alluded to,and you may have even pondered the fact yourself,was the change in standards and thresholds.
I bet you have considered whether or not the standards of the current qualification,are equitable with those at the time you completed yours.
Some are very easy to check,for example,get a 1980's physics "O" level exam paper,and put it next to the current exam.
The ONLY reason i posted,was not to disrespect any one persons qualifications,but to critique judging a persons acumen based on a simple list of numbers.
But i take your point,i'm boogered if anyone thinks i'm doing that cycling proficiency badge again...

Haha...I knew I was misunderstanding you one way or the other, I chose wrongly! :)

Reply to Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net