Discuss Working live in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

!How! I wonder, did that guy Michael Faraday ever survive,how he was left to play with electrics is unbelievable,tut tut tut
What a plonker! and not even in a scheme

I work live from time to time.

It's my call I am a sole trader.

If I am breaking the law by doing that then I guess you will have to send me down for 3 months, I can't see me stopping.

!How! I wonder, did that guy Michael Faraday ever survive,how he was left to play with electrics is unbelievable,tut tut tut
What a plonker! and not even in a scheme
By that logic you could argue that it's a good idea to try connecting lightning conductors to different things to see what happens. You might electrocute someone, you might burn the house down, or you might end up back in 1985.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I feel that a forum is good to ask questions in, as i can do so anonymously. I personally felt safe during this operation, which i cannot convey to all of you obviously, which is the frustrating bit. As there is a bigger picture to it all. But i understand that in other circumstances we would never do it live. I would think my company does have someone i can talk to or I might be able to find the information in a handbook. Also, I do have a brain, don`t treat me like a idiot. Ahah I have in my apprenticeship actually refused to do certain tasks as for not having the right equipment. So I do and have done taken responsibility regarding my safety. Just in this instance it seemed we had most things covered :p Also regarding EAWR, where i work DOES NOT by my reading come under those regulations?

Cheers for the replies :)

By that logic you could argue that it's a good idea to try connecting lightning conductors to different things to see what happens. You might electrocute someone, you might burn the house down, or you might end up back in 1985.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

There was no logic intended with the post
Perhaps it may have been a response to the "oh my god",don't do it words of terror!

If you are comfortable working live,so be it
If you are not comfortable,don't do it

Anyone such as an apprentice or a trainee should never work live,nor be asked or pressured to do so

Personally,I have always felt comfortable doing live work, when its needed,albeit cautiously

I need no H+S paranoia dictating my preservation,as long as what I do does not endanger anyone else,then I decide what is safe and what is not safe to do.
(It may be not my decision if I were an employed person)

Just adding a little more to my long winded post,because of reading another thread running alongside this one
Why checking that the circuit is dead is so important.

Now the above is an action that should be drummed into the brains of all who work in the trade
To pan a turn of phrase
It is much better working on a known live circuit than working on an unknown live circuit

Last edited:
Nah not mars. Ahaha

"This book is relevant to all work activities and premises except mines and quarries, certain offshore installations and certain ships."

Memorandum of guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989

Strange to get an apprentice to work, let alone work live.
TBH though it has got to be the biggest no, no. Must admit i have said things are live so be careful now and again (not that it was) but it makes them concentrate on the task and respect the stuff more, they found out after but then never knew if i was joking or not then on, so it worked. We have all done something live but having more knowledge on the risks involved to the task should be the thing thats most important and this includes work near live equipment. Much like a window cleaner carrying a metal ladder near live overhead cables.
Agree with tel we have all done a quick switch live but he knew the risks involved before hand, unlike an apprentice who would not know the dangers, would be a different story if it was a brass switch, I'm sure tel would have walked the two flights to turn off first.
We all know working live should not be done and its only corner cutting and not really worth the risk.

I work in one of the following; mines and quarries, certain offshore installations and certain ships. ahaha :p No, sorry I don`t feel like i want to disclose where I work :)

Strange to get an apprentice to work, let alone work live.
TBH though it has got to be the biggest no, no. Must admit i have said things are live so be careful now and again (not that it was) but it makes them concentrate on the task and respect the stuff more, they found out after but then never knew if i was joking or not then on, so it worked. We have all done something live but having more knowledge on the risks involved to the task should be the thing thats most important and this includes work near live equipment. Much like a window cleaner carrying a metal ladder near live overhead cables.
Agree with tel we have all done a quick switch live but he knew the risks involved before hand, unlike an apprentice who would not know the dangers, would be a different story if it was a brass switch, I'm sure tel would have walked the two flights to turn off first.
We all know working live should not be done and its only corner cutting and not really worth the risk.

Would have never worked with me as I would have got me voltage tester out and checked :p That it wasn`t live :p I do hear "Thats live in there" alot when we are looking in panels ahah

Also regarding EAWR, where i work DOES NOT by my reading come under those regulations?
Because they'll be covered by other regulations.

Regardless of what regulations your work comes under the overriding priority is common sense. If there is an absolute requirement to work live then all precautions should be taken including the correct training of employees and issue of PPE and the correct tools. Have you received any training to work live and been given PPE and the correct tools?

he got issued with PPE but never wore it....! if i was your manager and found out what had been done i would have you all in for a written warning!!

I work in one of the following; mines and quarries, certain offshore installations and certain ships. ahaha :p No, sorry I don`t feel like i want to disclose where I work :)

Would have never worked with me as I would have got me voltage tester out and checked :p That it wasn`t live :p I do hear "Thats live in there" alot when we are looking in panels ahah
That was the whole point of the exercise, to make someone test first.

Can you point me to these regulations please so I can have a look?

Oh yes, I do understand that we shouldn`t be working live, I really do. And as I said, the guy I working with has been given the right training and the right equipment. Gauntlets etc They did most of the work just let me do a little bit of it. To get me to understand the dangers and told me we shouldn`t really be doing this, but I`ll let you know as when you are out of your time you will probably need to do this. Sorta of thing. I did say there was a bigger picture in earlier post.

To get me to understand the dangers and told me we shouldn`t really be doing this,

you can learn the dangers from college, in a book, on the HSE website!!! you don't need to put your life in danger to learn dangers...!!

do you drive your car at 90mph in a 30 ......... no!! why?? cause you know the dangers / consequences with out doing it....!!

you can learn the dangers from college, in a book, on the HSE website!!! you don't need to put your life in danger to learn dangers...!!

do you drive your car at 90mph in a 30 ......... no!! why?? cause you know the dangers / consequences with out doing it....!!
But I`m an apprentice I know nothing! I need to be shown that its dangerous! :p Also
Sorry I`m a stereotypical teenager with no sense what so ever so, I just my drive expensively insured car, at about 110 through a 30 all the little polo will manage, sadly. Ahaha

Haha, all joking aside, do you not realize, I must of understood the severity of the situation, or do you think I was just thinking about the sparks I was working with probably wants another cuppa in abit?

Reply to Working live in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net