Discuss Working live in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ethen, you have been told that the info is not in the BGB and that we work within the EAWR.

Consult your employer for info what you are after, if you will not disclose your job sector as I believe that was what Durham Sparky should have asked, we cant really help.
We are not mind readers, if you had said what the bigger picture is in your original post, you would have a more tailored reply.

You should have a copy of EAWR.

I`m only an apprentice don`t forget I can only afford 1 AA!

Ethen, you have been told that the info is not in the BGB and that we work within the EAWR.

Consult your employer for info what you are after, if you will not disclose your job sector as I believe that was what Durham Sparky should have asked, we cant really help.
We are not mind readers, if you had said what the bigger picture is in your original post, you would have a more tailored reply.

You should have a copy of EAWR.

Yeah, you have a point but you gotta see from my point of view I just posted this up on the forum to get an idea and yeah I don`t want to tell you where I work for a good reason! And i just simply forgot some of the details and thought that was enough information for then, didn`t really reaslize it would go this far!

I`ve saved the copy lenny linked. Even if my job doesn`t actually come under them doesn`t mean I can disregard them! :)

I should have never of said I was an apprentice, all you get is prejudice. Ahaha.

Eh, errreee lad this be electicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without knowing the sector of your work this thread is pretty pointless and you have basically wasted all of the other posters time.

How does it?
Anything that need to be known can be taken from mines and quarries.
If anything Id be in breach of my contract of employment not to disclose what goes on at work outside of it.

If I have to work live then so be it.

Two of the biggest dangers are:
Getting to blasé about it.
Lack of confidence and skill to do it safely.

Some of the processes I’ve worked on you can’t shut down, the reactions just don’t stop at the click of a switch. When you know that if you shut down part of a process there’s going to be an almighty explosion, knowing there are blast doors and vents don’t make you feel any easier.

Ethan, I've worked under the M&Q regs for 25+ year, stop talking out of your backside!
By the way, regarding breach of contract. I'm still bound by the confidentiality clause of my first contract as an apprentice. I'm retired now.

Ahhh tony I`m glad you have replied in this thread! :)

And yes this is what the attitude of where i work is like, "This thing can kill you if you aren`t careful."

Atleast someone will just take that i can`t say where i work really or what we do etc as that, I cant really tell people!

Can a moderator just lock this thread now! :9
Its gone way to far for my liking!

Ah this is it. I came onto here for advice, all i get people like you just trying to be right and not actually help. All i wanted was advice. Im in between a rock and hard place at the moment.

Ethan, the advice was given in the first few posts.
It's not frigging brain surgery (but some might need it) difficulity.
You whip your tools out and you take your chances...

There was no logic intended with the post
Perhaps it may have been a response to the "oh my god",don't do it words of terror!

If you are comfortable working live,so be it
If you are not comfortable,don't do it

Anyone such as an apprentice or a trainee should never work live,nor be asked or pressured to do so

Personally,I have always felt comfortable doing live work, when its needed,albeit cautiously

I need no H+S paranoia dictating my preservation,as long as what I do does not endanger anyone else,then I decide what is safe and what is not safe to do.
(It may be not my decision if I were an employed person)

Just adding a little more to my long winded post,because of reading another thread running alongside this one
Why checking that the circuit is dead is so important.

Now the above is an action that should be drummed into the brains of all who work in the trade
To pan a turn of phrase
It is much better working on a known live circuit than working on an unknown live circuit

I seem to remember a while ago someone posted the 'accepted guidelines' for testing for dead from years ago. This consisted of testing 230v by swiping a dry finger across the conductor and feeling for a tingle, and for an ELV circuit placing the conductors on your tongue.
When I was at college we practiced safe isolation and lock off (using a John Drummond tester and proving unit or Steinel type tester with self test) until we were thoroughly sick of it, then when I did the 2391 we did the 10 point test for 3 phase, using the Steinel type tester.

Presumably older forum members who were working before EAWR was introduced in 1989 tested in the 'old school' way and even worked live for years without even being mildly killed and understandably don't understand why electricity should have suddenly got any more dangerous, however as mentioned apprentices, trainees, DIs etc shouldn't attempt testing in this way. Maybe in 20 years or so I'll be working live without a care in the world like yourself, telectrix and probably oldtimer, but I was taught never to work live.

Ethan remember nobody knows it all; even the retired forum members who have been electricians all their lives are still learning. Even the bigwigs in the IET who write the regs are still learning.
Nobody likes a know-it-all, whether they be a middle-aged retrainee, domestic installer, and especially a teenage apprentice.

When I was a teenager I always graciously accepted advice from older and more experienced people, even if it sounded like a load of rubbish, and they respected me for it, just like I respect teenagers who appear to accept what I tell them, or question it intelligently. What you think of that person is up to you, but nobody likes a gobby kid.

Let's leave the name calling at the door shall we.

I feel this thread has run its course, OP, you have the info from our side of the fence what you choose to do with it is up to you and whatever it is you do in your secret job.

Thread closed.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 2

Reply to Working live in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net