Discuss Workmanship - What to expect? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

I posted a couple of weeks ago hinting at some issues I'd had with an electrician. Since then I've spoken to him, and he's been back and attempted to correct the work.

I'm still less than satisfied with the finished job.

Background: I'd originally asked him to quote for some wiring in the kitchen, he pointed out that with the changes required it would need individual RCD's for any extended circuits or new (Hob and Cooker) and that the preferred route would be to upgrade the Consumer unit.
I have no problem with that.

The existing consumer unit was mounted in the wall and I requested the new one be so too. Upon fitting, its clear that it has been sunk too deep into the wall, such that when the front cover is on, it is below the plaster rather than sitting flush against it, with the gaps filled with silicone/decorator caulk. It also sits un-evenly (see photo's)

I don't like this for two reasons - 1) it looks a mess, 2) any work will require redecorating around the consumer as to remove the cover will require the removal of the filler.

The electrician came back and had another go at re-fitting it. It's better, but I'm still not happy.

Before I go back to him, is there anything in the regulations that I can fall back on - i.e. having to cut the sealant around the front cover etc?

Am I being too picky here - the consumer unit is in the study - an inhabited room, so I'd like it to look as tidy as possible.

Cheers
James
IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2994.JPG

Accesibility is a given in the regs. If you have to remove that sealant in order to gain access to the inside of the consumer unit that is not good. I can see that like me he is bad at using a sealing gun. Personally I would have made the cover free moving by putting a lip of aluminium around the surround or possibly plastic. As to the aesthetics, yes it is badly done perhaps a decorator should have been specified to finish the work, as I would have recommended. I presume you have an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work done? Picky? not really it is poorly executed especially within a study. But whether the person has the skills to finish it perfectly seems to be moot.

There are plenty of flush mounting consumer units on the market. Are you saying that a surface mounted cu was recessed into the wall or that a flush mounted cu was used but is smaller than the original hole.

I'm still less than satisfied with the finished job.

Background: I'd originally asked him to quote for some wiring in the kitchen, he pointed out that with the changes required it would need individual RCD's for any extended circuits or new (Hob and Cooker) and that the preferred route would be to upgrade the Consumer unit.
I have no problem with that.

The existing consumer unit was mounted in the wall and I requested the new one be so too. Upon fitting, its clear that it has been sunk too deep into the wall, such that when the front cover is on, it is below the plaster rather than sitting flush against it, with the gaps filled with silicone/decorator caulk. It also sits un-evenly (see photo's)

I don't like this for two reasons - 1) it looks a mess, 2) any work will require redecorating around the consumer as to remove the cover will require the removal of the filler.

The electrician came back and had another go at re-fitting it. It's better, but I'm still not happy.

Before I go back to him, is there anything in the regulations that I can fall back on - i.e. having to cut the sealant around the front cover etc?

Am I being too picky here - the consumer unit is in the study - an inhabited room, so I'd like it to look as tidy as possible.

Cheers
he is there to make you property safe. and you are complaining about the decoration that he made ,what about the big read isolation rotary switch then .

Westward10 - The CU fitted is designed to be flush mounted, the actual box is smaller than the front, it's the same principle as a metal back and socket or light switch.
Adj - sort of, the original CU was much smaller, a CU designed to be flush mounted has been done so into a hole in the wall made much bigger than it needed to be.
buzzlightyear - are you saying if I asked the same electrician to fit a socket, I should expect him to make a whole much bigger than a backbox and just fill it with sealant? While the isolation switch maybe unslightly, it has been fitted neatly.

As Vortigern says, what's the story with the (apparent) singles coming from the isolator. And what is the isolator for?

I really hope you haven’t paid this guy yet.
Forget about the Regulations.
You want a good job, which you are not getting.
Give the electrician a list of all you are not happy with and refuse to pay until they are sorted.
I think you have to give him two attempts to rectify a problem, before you can get someone else in to fix it?

why on earth did he not reduce the size of the hole to suit the new CU? should have fixed the "back box" and plastered round it , then done the installation.
My thoughts exactly!
Mount the CU back box flush with the existing plaster line, fill any deep holes with bonding plaster, over skim with finish plaster, job done. Patch up - less than a couple of hours work and a few quid on materials.

David M, telectrix - I don't either, I'm currently in email dialogue with him, he says "I believe it is as good as it will be". Sadly, yes, I've paid him. I'll be taking a look this weekend as to whether there's anything I can do with it (I need to take the front off to check the CT sensors mentioned earlier as they're not reading correctly since he did his work!).
Thanks for your comments - at least I'm not being too picky with the standard of the work!

My thoughts exactly!
Mount the CU back box flush with the existing plaster line, fill any deep holes with bonding plaster, over skim with finish plaster, job done. Patch up - less than a couple of hours work and a few quid on materials.
It is exactly the same way that you would do with a switch/socket box but same principle but on a larger scale.

David M, telectrix - I don't either, I'm currently in email dialogue with him, he says "I believe it is as good as it will be". Sadly, yes, I've paid him. I'll be taking a look this weekend as to whether there's anything I can do with it (I need to take the front off to check the CT sensors mentioned earlier as they're not reading correctly since he did his work!).
Thanks for your comments - at least I'm not being too picky with the standard of the work!
His standard of electrical work might be very good, but lacks the skills to do the required "tidying" up bit. I know many a good spark who are very good electricians but are not much good at anything else. Then I also know many tradespersons who don't take pride in their workmanship.

Reply to Workmanship - What to expect? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net