Discuss Wylex 1361 fuse carrier in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
Fuse blew in a shower circuit last night, the guy said the fuse was roasting and stuck to the fuse carrier . It's an 8.5 kw shower on 30A fuse.

i poped new fuse in and stuck clamp meter on and was pulling 28A

isit normal for the fuse to get roasting in 5 mins

yep slack connection remember anything with a load will highlight this hence why its shower,cooker or immersion circuits that are in my view the top 3

Yea but connections can be slack within a switch I was at a storage heater on Tuesday and the switch on the wall was burnt out internally. Switch looked fine but the live (red) insulation was starting to get discoloured with the heat. Also check the fuse carrier clip to make sure they have a good contact

has the shower got a pull cord switch feeding the shower, if so i would check for condensation in the switch .i`ve stopped fitting pull corded shower switches in bathrooms because of repeated failure. all the connections were tight, but they were all showing signs of burning at the terminals. what about fitting fitting a 60898 mcb as well.

Yeah all good, ty . Yeah I'd love to put in mcb but that's another day , and finding one to fit, il get good look tomorrow and measure mcb size and terminals

well for a start....whats an MCB going to offer in this situation.....
time and time again we hear about how its `got to be an MCB`.....fuses and MCB`s protect cable..
i assume theres supplementary bonding installed?
i mean a better way really would be to provide a sub board for the shower....

Yeah it's s split board , sockets and shower protected just. I know fuses are ok. It's a loose connection, maybe swap fuse carrier.

Reply to Wylex 1361 fuse carrier in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net