Discuss 12v Transfer Pump. Complete novice, help needed! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paul Ashley

Hi all,

As stated in the title, i have no experience with electrics, but i need a transfer pump to empty my 3 fish tanks, and all i can find are 12v units that connect to car batteries. There are literally none that run off mains for less than £150+

Can i take something like this -

12 VOLT PORTABLE DIESEL TRANSFER PUMP 12V FUEL | eBay

and adapt it to run from the mains instead of a car battery?

I know this is probably such a simple question for many of you but i've always been told that when it comes to electrics, it's better to ask a stupid question than face the consequences of getting it wrong!

Thanks all, your help is much appreciated

totally unsuitable. look at 230V pond pumps. range from £30 up.

Thanks for your reply.

The only issue with the majority of pond pumps is they only empty to about 25-30mm, so yo then have to get in the tank with a sponge which totally defeats the object in my opinion. The idea of using a transfer pump is that i can get a hose right down to the bottom of the tank.

I think i'll probably have to shell out a bit more and go for something like this -

Draper 50l/min (max) 700w 230v Surface Mounted Pump 56225 from

Thanks again for your help :)

When I had fish, I just used a bucket, length of tube and a bit of mouth to tube suction.

KISS! :)

Also look at the portable semi-solid pumps out there,some go down to 15mm,are fully IP rated for the job,have a flex attached and can be used for many applications. I have seen a few cheap ones at screwfix and the like,i have one that must be twenty years old and i stick in a basket when things are "lumpy",you don't need loads of horse power for that job,slow and steady...would'nt want to impellerise that missing koi,would we?:stooge_curly:

right. i'll stick with the 18mm impact socket and a hammer then.

Reply to 12v Transfer Pump. Complete novice, help needed! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net