Discuss 500kW Generator tie in in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm an electrical engineer in training so please bear with me.

Basically, a bank has ordered a second 500kw diesel generator and my job is to design the infrastructure to allow them to run simultaneously. It has been suggested that a "Paralleling switchgear" be used that could potentially house both Transfer Switches and possibly both the generator breaker panels that must be removed and operated remotely due to clearance code requirements. There's also a fire pump Automatic Transfer Switch that must remain.

Specifically:
1. What infrastructure is needed to tie the new generator into the system other than an Automatic Transfer Switch?
2. Is a "Parallelling Switchgear" a viable option?
3. There is a basement UPS room with space to house any other equipment, is this my best option?
4. Code wise, can the Generator breaker panels be housed in the same switchgear?
5. Could the fire pump ATS go in the switchgear also?

The Client wants to be able to present an updated pricing to the banks board August 31st.

I would appreciate any feedback

A lot to take in here.

1st I am assuming that the site has a supply from the electrical grid and that is normally supplying everything.

there is a UPS room, I am assuming that this will supply the critical loads whilst the generator(s) are started and brought online?

this is a technically complex project with a lot to consider.

1st think of what must happen when the grid supply fails.
maybe,
1 ups is already supplying critical loads as they are always running through it
2 after a timer has completed its run down (30s to 60s) to confirm it is a power failure, not just a short duration fault.
3 open switchgear to grid supply and confirm it is open.
4 start generator 1 & 2
5 after a warm up period, close switchgear to supply UPS and other important loads from generator 1
6 synchronise generator 2 to generator 1
7 close switchgear to bring generator 2 into parallel operation with generator 1
8 close switchgear to bring other (non essential or important loads) online.

when grid power returns
1 wait for 15 to 60 minutes to confirm stable grid supply
2 synchronise generators to grid
3 close switchgear to bring grid supply online
4 open switchgear to take generator 1 and 2 off load (needs to be done promptly depending on regulations for parallel generation)
5 allow a run down timer to complete so generators have run with no load for some time too cool down.
6 stop generators 1 and 2

Hey James,
Thank you for the quick response. I left out key information that this is an additional generator being tied into an existing system. What I need to know is the how to integrate the new equipment needed and the existing equipment into the limited space that is remaining in the generator room.

I.E I cant just add another ATS in the room as code requires specific spacing.

Attachments

• GensetCapture.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 20
As I suggested before, this is a complex installation that needs some proper design from people that have all the information.
you are unlikely to get a suitable system designed for you on an internet forum.

Reply to 500kW Generator tie in in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net