Discuss 3 core twin and earth cable what colour should you use as the neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

IMO it would be better to have the "wrong" core used so long as it is sleeved correctly rather than the "correct" core unsleeved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

IMO it would be better to have the "wrong" core used so long as it is sleeved correctly rather than the "correct" core unsleeved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

If you are happy being the least wrong in an industry that needs everything to be right to work safely then so be it. It shows your standards.

grey with blue sleeving everytime, I have never met anyone who has used black in 3 core PVC/PVC as neutral instead of grey

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Grey is the new blue! Black is earth.

EDIT: That's SWA I'm referring to there! on PVC/PVC the earth is a little more obvious ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool.....As said sleave them for my benefit, couldnt work out why I was getting 'odd' readings on testing a faulty bathroom fan..........
jpg.gif
Black, Blue and Brown in one, 2 Red and a Brown in another and a Yellow/Green and blue in the last................QUALITY

Attachments

• !cid_Image0220.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Cool.....As said sleave them for my benefit, couldnt work out why I was getting 'odd' readings on testing a faulty bathroom fan..........
jpg.gif
Black, Blue and Brown in one, 2 Red and a Brown in another and a Yellow/Green and blue in the last................QUALITY

And what's wrong with this picture?

Discuss...

The yellow and green is puzzling. Where did it come from? Yellow and green can't be used for anything else for earth/CPC or bonding.

They used the green/yellow in a 3 core flex to feed the extract didn't they? V bad...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite Nick. There needs to be a standard so we all know what is going on, that's the idea of having identification in the first place. In a 2 way all are line conductors so there is no ambiguity, whereas in a switched circuit (IE PIR) ther has to be one who is neutral, and thats grey. Using yellow as the CPC and blue as neutral in RYB colours was easy as blue was then recognised as neutral in flexes, and yellow... well that's obvious. When the new colours were introduced the NIC and others were quick to make a standard to enable all to understand the colours, it will make your life easier if you go to a job and there is no sleeving!

in an existing 3 phase board their was 2 colours in the neutral bar, black and blue[swa] now you want to put grey in their as well and blacks in the earth bar. and you call this a stanard!!

Not quite Nick. There needs to be a standard so we all know what is going on, that's the idea of having identification in the first place. In a 2 way all are line conductors so there is no ambiguity, whereas in a switched circuit (IE PIR) ther has to be one who is neutral, and thats grey. Using yellow as the CPC and blue as neutral in RYB colours was easy as blue was then recognised as neutral in flexes, and yellow... well that's obvious. When the new colours were introduced the NIC and others were quick to make a standard to enable all to understand the colours, it will make your life easier if you go to a job and there is no sleeving!

in an existing 3 phase board their was 2 colours in the neutral bar, black and blue[swa] now you want to put grey in their as well and blacks in the earth bar. and you call this a standard!!

A standard is just that, something drawn out that people stick to. If you don't agree with grey as neutral; tough. It was decided a long time ago that was the case and it has to stick. If you continue to be a rebel and create your own system you are creating problems for everyone who works on your installations after you. Just because you have 3 colours in the neutral bar (colour coded with sleeving of course so not to cause confusion) does not make it difficult, it just makes you dim if you don't understand it.

we had a standard. red, yellow, blue, black. every man and his dog knew what was what. then along came the meddling eurine bureau rats in their suits and pink shirts and buggered it all up. so much for British Standards

If they really did have their way we would be using black as line on 230. We chose the standard we have now to stop the eurocrats choosing. If you don't like or can't cope with the new colours try buying the old ones. Maybe some people are just too adverse to change.

Reply to 3 core twin and earth cable what colour should you use as the neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net