Discuss 4 Core SWA linking two legs of a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm recently qualified so be nice...

I'm preparing a quote for the wiring of a dozen up and over garages which are in two rows of 6 and face each other with an 11m gap. One double socket per garage and fcu for a single 1500 fluorescent fitting. I was planning to wire them all as one ring circuit and use swa 2.5mm 4 core to link the two rows. Singles and pvc conduit for the wiring in each row of garages and then wiska box for the connection to the swa.

The armour would be the cpc so it wouldn't be a ring as such. I couldn't find anything in the regs which says it's a no no but I'm open to anyone opinions on this. It's obviously cheaper than running 2x 2.5mm swa cables but would it still be classed as a ring circuit?
I was hoping to use this job for my part p assessment so it has to be a perfect job. Feedback welcome.

Thanks!

As Sintra said, if someone decideds to overllad the circuit at least you have the ability to still have the lights working rather than losing everything in the garages.

Separate radial to each garage with a 2 way garage unit with rcd in each unit controlled from one board least that way if u ever have to meter each one separately u can , don't think I would really like to rely on the swa for coc if they are rented out if people fiddle all the other units may loose the earthing too, garage units no more than 25 to 30 quid now and control gear and bg do a good one

Who'd be paying for the juice ?

Area of more than 100m2, too, I'd imagine.

Last edited:
Run two lollipop rings, one for each row of garages.

I was going to make a suggestion but at a guess this is a cheap job not quality so I’ll not bother.

Reply to 4 Core SWA linking two legs of a ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net