Search the forum,

Discuss 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not having a 15 minute over run on my ensuite!

Accepted
icon7.png
I take it your not a Curry eater or Cider drinker,that's when the Mrs instructions kick in,she starts specifying well timed ventilation
icon7.png

I was referring to 10.5.2 (p132) Electricians Guide to Building Regs. 'For an internal room with no natural light, the fan should be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch....'.
Wasn't criticising or saying you were wrong, just answering the question where did people get this idea from, plus manufacturers instructions often say for timed fans to take sl from light.
Personally I am happy wiring the way that I mentioned a few posts ago, covers all bases

I wish I could find the reg which states motors need local isolation incase of emergency's like fire for example, it is there somewhere I had to show it to a customer once, I canny find it now and feel frustrated LOL

I was referring to 10.5.2 (p132) Electricians Guide to Building Regs. 'For an internal room with no natural light, the fan should be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch....'.
I only have an old version of that book,I would be surprised if the word was wrongly inserted,ie "Should" where it needs to say "Could"
Wasn't criticising or saying you were wrong, just answering the question no worries where did people get this idea from, plus manufacturers instructions often say for timed fans to take sl from light.They also often suggest fitting a fuse,its a shame they don't follow their own recomendation by fitting it themselves
Personally I am happy wiring the way that I mentioned a few posts ago, covers all bases
No problem there,we all do as we see fit
icon14.png

Please excuse me if you thought I was reacting to criticism,I was merely trying to debate (from a position of quite a lot of ignorance) the subject, with attempt at a little humour thrown in of course
icon7.png

Here's a thought
Why not wire all bathrooms including utility room fan on its own circuit with a 3 amp mcb and that does away with the stupid idea of a 3 amp fuse next to the fan isolator.

The manufacturer should install a fused connector block inside the fan which several lighting companies do for their flourescent lights, this way there is no doubt the fan will be fused at 3 amp. But they won't because it is all Rollocks and they want to blame everyone and anyone else if their fan packs up.

The manufacturer should install a fused connector block inside the fan which several lighting companies do for their flourescent lights, this way there is no doubt the fan will be fused at 3 amp. But they won't because it is all Rollocks and they want to blame everyone and anyone else if their fan packs up.

Plus it would have to be two fuses if it's timer and that would make the casing even bigger.
I find it hard to believe that the world will end as we know it if more than 3 amps flows through their fans and if it does then their fans must be pretty ****e which to be honest most are.

answer is for them to fit a thermal link in the fan so if it seizes or shorts out, the link will open. so simple.

I wish I could find the reg which states motors need local isolation incase of emergency's like fire for example, it is there somewhere I had to show it to a customer once, I canny find it now and feel frustrated LOL

You won't find it because it doesn't exist, however 132.15.2 does state that every fixed electric motor shall be provided with an efficient means of switching off (not neccessarily isolation), readily accessible, easily operated and so placed as to prevent danger.

I would argue that readily accessible doesn't automatically mean local to the motor (although I would agree that 9/10 times it does) because motors aren't always operated from nearby or easily accessible in the first place.

It is one of many, what I like to call 'grey area' regulations. It relies on common sense really. Essentially if you shorten it down to its main key point and re-write it, regulation 132.15.2 should read something like; "Don't be a ---, make sure you can turn a motor off easily if you have to!".

Reply to 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net