Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: A reminder to everyone

OK I banned then from my own house 27 years back. If it hadn’t been for you FF, I wouldn’t have realised what a bloody menace they really were.
You keep up the good work, I’ll help as and when I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

OK I banned then from my own house 27 years back. If it hadn’t been for you FF, I wouldn’t have realised what a bloody menace they teally were.
You keep up the good work, I’ll help as and when I can.

Excuse my ignorance but who is FF?

I do my bit with customers and council officers,:bucktooth:

Informing one person may help create a pyramid effect, and cross fingers, the news will spread if enough sparks take the time to spread the word

Well done Tony for keeping the subject active and to FF for all the research info :martini_shaken:

I was in shakeaway milkshake bar in Winchester, it's massive and is just like a little youth club. I noticed they had them in all their sockets and I pointed out the dangers of them and told them to google fatally flawed for all the facts. He did and he saw me a week later, told me he's removed them from his shop and has put the word around to the other shakeaways to remove them also!

We have the owner of that website as a member on here somewhere you know. Didn't know he was a TV presenter!

Ahhh no I've read that wrong on his website, that's a bloke who supports the campaign, who isn't a member. David who owns the website is a member though!

Never really paid attention to them but having read that my eyes are open. Word of mouth people, word of mouth.

So he did! haha

I've just emailed David. I want to help the campaign using the forum.

Hi Dan, thanks for your interest, got your email and I'll be in touch shortly.

I do believe that Electricians have a great part to play in this, and in warning of the dangers of counterfeit and sub-standard plugs, adaptors and chargers (www.bs1363.org.uk ) - in other words, all of the dangerous junk which is sold to plug into the world's safest socket (65 years old this year - and not ready for retirement!).

The BS 1363 standard came about because of the work done by the IEE in the 1940's, it saddens me deeply that IET, the successor to IEE, is doing nothing useful to protect it against the current threats. Where the engineers (of which I am one) are failing, the electricians can really make a difference, go to it!

I had no idea. Yet it's actually really obvious. We have a 16 month old boy, he's into everything at the moment...he loves to explore and seems to always find the dangerous areas of the room. Before he was born we went safety crazy, buying safety gates, drawer locks etc. and of course socket covers. I'm horrified by my own stupidity, for taking these at face value. I have removed them (we had the Clippasafe ones) and smashed them up, binned. My wife works at a nursery so we are going to have a word with the owner about spreading the word locally.

I too had no idea of the danger of these, as I hadn't even thought about it. Does anyone know if there's an MP who is interested in this cause? If there was it ought to publicise it more.

Found the site a while back and have bought it up whenever I've come across them. Unfortunately most customers seem to know better but a few have taken notice

I had these things plugged into my sockets up until 10 minutes ago! I never even gave it a thought that they were unsafe. You'd think British Standards would have condemned them instead of passing them fit for sale & use.
Have posted the FF website on my facebook as that's the quickest way to disseminate information these days. I urge all to do the same.

Thanks for pointing this out. I will be passing this onto everyone I come acroos in the future.
I have just posted this on my Facebook wall as well.

Cheers

Clive

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net