Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are lass is a qualified nursery nurse and even she didnt know they were crap, they still use them in the nusery were she works ( untill Monday) and ofsted have never said owt on there inspections. Eyes wide open on this one mate, cheers. Child safety is of the upmost importance!!!

Cheers

jay

I agree that education is the best thing with kids however looking at some of the parents walking round in the places I've lived they also need to be supervised. Yesterday was a Polish bird in Tescos letting her toddler play with a carrier bag.

we come across these quite a bit on PIRs n stuff....now obviously i cant just throw these away wherever i come across them as they arn`t my property to do so....but i will inform the person/s ordering the test that these are dangerous....i mean why the hell anyone want to introduce potentials into the home...thats what these things are doing by holding shutters open...etc...

You could try lobbying the govt on the e-Petitions website. Basically, you create an e-Petition calling for the ban of these devices and if the petition acquires 100,000 signatures it triggers a debate in the House of Commons.

Very informative, have just linked the website to family and friends on facebook to help try and spread the message, just takes an Inquisitive child playing and could end in disaster.

I noticed some of these in my parents' kitchen a few weeks ago (and they don't even have young children running around!). I told them about the things being a poor design etc and wondered why they were there at all more than anything else. Turns out they actually bought them to stop a strong cold draught blowing through the socket pin holes! Almost a legitimate use?!?

What a brilliant website. I could never see the point in these things myself. Don't shout at me but I have in the past tried to connect plugs with a broken earth pin(plastic pin) from a charger and it's a pain in the a**e, so how a child could do it beats me.

But on a serious note, without legislation, if schools etc remove these covers and a child does somehow manage to get something inside them, then, with todays 'blame culture' somebody is going to go to court. So hopefully the Government will take this on board and do something about them.

Good luck

But on a serious note, without legislation, if schools etc remove these covers and a child does somehow manage to get something inside them, then, with todays 'blame culture' somebody is going to go to court. So hopefully the Government will take this on board and do something about them.

You should not fear repercussions from the non-use of socket covers! There is no UK Government advice that says they should be used, there are no standards which are applicable to socket covers (and no socket covers meet the dimensions of BS 1363). The government has decided not to bring them within the plugs and sockets regulations (after all, they are completely unnecessary), so the only regulations which apply are the Toy Safety regulations requiring that they not poison or choke a child who puts a cover in their mouth. No court is going to find negligence in the non-use of an unregulated, untested device which is demonstrably unfit for use and which has not been recommended for use by any responsible body!

Well done for highlighting this.

I've never trusted my 4 kids with anything that can be inserted anywhere.:30:

If they continue to progress as I did as a kid they'll find out the hard way with most things, & its' my job to ensure that none of them are fatal. Playing with plugs may well be, & although I'm new to the Sparky game I'll be spreading the word to all and sundry.

Loon

I know the head of childrens social services in Bradford. I will be enlightening them so they can pass the word to every social worker in that area will then reach social workers across west yorkshire. hopefully depending upon their skills of passing information down the chain every house or childrens home may soon be without these things.

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net