Discuss Accessible or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
We are all aware that junction boxes need to be accessible for inspection, as they aren't deemed as being maintainance free. Ok fair enough.

So then, if a cooker connection unit is being used to supply a new built in cooker and the connection unit is located behind the nice new cooker, is this right is this deemed as inaccessible?

Or, is the connection unit not classed as ajunction point?

I think this post goes to show how bored i've been today:(

The cooker connection is accessible if the oven is removed.

JB's etc somewhere under floorboards and buried in lofts are not accessible, as they could be anywhere.

A cooker connection point is normally behind the cooker.

Accessable is not defined though

Whats accessable to one person could be considered in accessable to anither

Is lifting a carpet and picking up a floor board in accessable?
Well I have lifted many carpets and floor boards,so as long as I knew where it is then it is accessable to me

Last edited:
I would say,if you've cut up a board between 2 joists and screwed it back down again then you've just created a removable panel.If you're on a new build and cut a wire short,then feed the joint into a cavity,It would be unaccessible.

I would say,if you've cut up a board between 2 joists and screwed it back down again then you've just created a removable panel.If you're on a new build and cut a wire short,then feed the joint into a cavity*,It would be unaccessible.

*short wires in a connector block trick patent 16780 ,all royalties go to ROD HULL DIY MASTERCLASS

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen a vid that was good, however the other vid says that if its under a fitted carpet, or likely to be its not accesable.
MY argument has always been that, if you have enough knowledge to do something with a jb, then you have the knowledge to access it, it therfore is accesable. Argue with that !
However, rules is rules. I always use Ashley JBS. They are expensive. There is probably as good out there and cheaper, I must do a revue of the products I use. Apparently you can but a kit for about 80 quid which you can put together yourself, and gives you about a hundred jbs, built to your spec, 17th compliant.

I think part of the 'accessibility' issue is to do with documentation left behind. If a JB (I'm a wago/choc-box man actually) is under a floorboard with a removable panel than that's fine in my book as long a there's a note or diagram somewhere at the CU.

However, in the last couple of years, the number of CUs on which I've worked where any previous any documentation or diagrams were available........ 0. Sigh....

If you cut up the boards thus creating an access panel it wont belong till "she!" insists on a brand new laminate floor. Then try and persuade her to lift that for inspection,fault finding or maintenance!
Greeny

Reply to Accessible or not? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net