Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Adding a shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jandjrothwell

Hello everyone

I need to find a way to add a downstairs electic shower unit for my elederly mother (87) who is partly disabled.

Is it possible to put a shower into the corner of a bedroom, and still retain plug sockets for normal bedroom items such as telly and electric blanket. The bedroom already has a small sink.

My second option is to use the utility room which already contains a toilet, but also has the central heating boiler. How far from the boiler would the shower unit need to be.

The plan is to put a glass doored unit in.

I have seen both these arangements in other peoples houses, but I'm not sure if they would be permitted under new regulations.

I do realise that new cabling etc would need to added by a competent person.

Any advice on how to tackle this would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Hi John and welcome.

It is perfectly acceptable to put a shower cubicle in a bedroom, however, there are zones that need to be considered with regards to existing sockets etc that will possibly need to be moved.

My recommendation would be to enlist the services of a competent electrician to visit the site to do a survey and discuss the options with you.

You can do a search here:

Local Authority Building Control - SEARCH

Hi John

I suggest the best thing to do is get someone to come and have a look at what you want doing, it's a bit difficult giving advice on something that you can't actually see.:D

Soz J you beat me to it!

Taken from IET guide to building regs:

'The requirements for bathrooms are to be met for bedrooms with a shower cubicle. Socket-outlets are allowed in bedrooms containing a shower cubicle providing they are more than 3 metres from the shower cubicle. All socket outlets are to be protected by a 30mA RCD.

Yooj

yep its 3 metres away from water

people keep asking about sockets in the bathroom but most seem to want them less then 3 metres away which should not be done

Reply to Adding a shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net