Discuss Am I being ----?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been accused of being ---- this morn thought ide see what you lot thought.
Had a 2 week old kettle base given to me for PAT, its rated for 2200W (10A) and its fitted with a 13A fuse and a .75mm flex.
Now obviously the fuse is way to high for the flex which is rated for 6A.

Now ime changing it for a 1mm and chucking a 10A fuse in but anyone think ime going to far with this?

I know the thing only runs for a few mins at a time but its still wrong in my mind and even though its only 2 weeks old its flex is already stiff.

Thoughts?

it's a fixed load. as such it can't overload the cable,so your 13A fuse is for fault protection only. thew flex is undersized though, as in Iz<Ib.

Let's just say, if this kettle carries all the compliance standards logos and the manufactures of this kettle have determined that a 0.75mm cord meets the power requirements, who are we to state otherwise?? I've just checked my own kettle which is a 3200W jobby and it's fitted with a 1mm cord.

Have you determined what type of flex has been fitted, along with it's temp rating??

Why the hell is something that is 2 weeks old being PAT?

It'll be in a Commercial property.

They don't usually accept the reasoning it's brand new and will get picked up for PAT within the year, I've tried that for years since PAT came into being.

Their reasoning, if anyone else looks at it they don't know it's new, it might have got missed on the last PAT.

Plus it won't be on the register to test.

My own 3000w @240v kettle has 3 x 1.0mm H05 which is rated at 10amp.
Kettle draws 11.5a @ 240 (just tested) with a 13amp fuse in

It's 10 years old and not melted yet.

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/11c5/0900766b811c5e7f.pdf

Last edited:
Been accused of being ---- this morn thought ide see what you lot thought.
Had a 2 week old kettle base given to me for PAT, its rated for 2200W (10A) and its fitted with a 13A fuse and a .75mm flex.
Now obviously the fuse is way to high for the flex which is rated for 6A.

Now ime changing it for a 1mm and chucking a 10A fuse in but anyone think ime going to far with this?

I know the thing only runs for a few mins at a time but its still wrong in my mind and even though its only 2 weeks old its flex is already stiff.

Thoughts?
Yup you're being ----

Don't PAT test the fridge or Vac are you'll be changing flexes all day :0/

As above - fixed load so no need for O/L protection and as pointed out the flex may not be the same tabulated in the BS7671 for CCC... If it came with it on from new then its ok.

I dont normally bother tbh with new stuff as you say its been manufacturer spec'd but like i said the flex is now stiff, you can literally hold it in a moulded position like you would with a T&E which tells me its been getting warm and its a cheap chinese thing from a low budget supermarket.

And in regards to the why, yes its a industrial premises so everything is tested regardless of age or actual requirement lol.

Reply to Am I being ----?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net