Discuss AM2 Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's all in twin now, got my results back and I failed the install, something on the ring circuit and something on the lighting, all tested and worked fine so not really sure what was wrong.

The spec says I can assure you 150% the feed from the db to sw1 next to the db, a 3 core and earth from sw1 via the intermediate to sw 3, the twin and eaearth fom the light back to switch 1, hence you will have two twin and earths in the first switch, screwless connectors must be used to marshall the neutrals and cpc`s, the common in the intermediate and also the lone cpc in switch 3, eg wagos

That is bad practice unless there is absolutely no choice, neutrals should not be in switches.

Feed goes from MCB to Light, from light a T&E to Switch 1 (2 Way), from Switch 1 take a 3C & E to Switch 2 (Intermediate) and then another from this switch to Switch 3 (2 way). You just have to ensure you connect it correctly...

Job DONE

Have to agree with many of the comments here, if you are wiring lights in conduit, then 2 plate is the preferred method. With T&E or structured cable installs then the preferred method is more often 3 plate as you do not end up with neutrals and joints in switches.

It's all in twin now, got my results back and I failed the install, something on the ring circuit and something on the lighting, all tested and worked fine so not really sure what was wrong.

Unlucky buddy, you'll get there in the end - have a never say die attitude and turn up next time even more determined. Being from Bridlington, are you doing it in Hull by any chance? i did mine there years ago.

Your installation was probably correct, worked perfectly and tested out bob-on. However, if you haven't followed there instructions then you'll fail even if your way is better than theres. The AM2 test is also about being able to follow orders, which you'll have to do on site whether it's from the architect or your boss. Read the instructions very carefully. Best of luck.

My sympathies, Youngbart, its a real barsteward when things go pear shaped when you thing all has went well.

I think its now standard practice to get some feedback about your efforts, so it would be well to ask why they failed you.

Its always good to have some redirection so you don't make the same mistakes again....

Unlucky buddy, you'll get there in the end - have a never say die attitude and turn up next time even more determined. Being from Bridlington, are you doing it in Hull by any chance? i did mine there years ago.

Your installation was probably correct, worked perfectly and tested out bob-on. However, if you haven't followed there instructions then you'll fail even if your way is better than theres. The AM2 test is also about being able to follow orders, which you'll have to do on site whether it's from the architect or your boss. Read the instructions very carefully. Best of luck.

Yes doing mine Hull, given the state of some if the accessories I probably used the same gear as you did! I think I know what I've done wrong in the lighting, and it's just a case of I mis read the drawing and fed the furthest switch instead of the nearest one,

will definitely ring them to find out what I've ballsed up on my ring circuit though. Just noticed I have to re do my fault finding as well. I got a fault on the motor which stumped me, so I probably got that wrong.

Have to agree with many of the comments here, if you are wiring lights in conduit, then 2 plate is the preferred method. With T&E or structured cable installs then the preferred method is more often 3 plate as you do not end up with neutrals and joints in switches.

Now wait for those that will come out and say ''I always loop through the switches'' for all my lighting circuits, saves me working on a step ladder and getting sore arms!! lol!! :sad_smile:

TwowaywithN_zpsbbd8f274.jpg

If I came across this method of wiring I'd think "What a chancer" who the ***** taught you that method should be shot lol

Nobody taught me that method, I worked it out in less than a minute and drew it out.

I’ve spent my life in industrial, not house bashing!

You and me both, but you certainly would not contemplate that as a "house bashers method" whatever next...........
Nobody taught me that method, I worked it out in less than a minute and drew it out.

I’ve spent my life in industrial, not house bashing!

If I came across this method of wiring I'd think "What a chancer" who the ***** taught you that method should be shot lol

that's exactly how i've just drawn it. using brow/black for strappers and grey ( slevved blue) for N.

Nice diagram, Tony. From the look of it you are the culprit who can't be bothered to use a ladder then?

Some chap i used to work with said there are 27 variations of wiring for two way lighting circuits. I think I've come across about 10 of them, lol....

Reply to AM2 Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net