Discuss Another jib thread - sorry!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

im after the elusive gold approved card my quals are:

2330 lv 2
2330 lv 3
17th (haven't taken the amendment)
2356 nvq3
2377 pat testing
2399 solar pv/rerenewables

loads of C&G numbers , but as usual absolutely no mention of work experience or types
of jobs / roles undertaken ??

everyone seems to think getting a gold card is some sort of ticket chase - its not , they want to see a checkable career path.
and as shagbite says , everyone has to hold standard electrician grade for 2 years before getting approved.

There's dog rough sparks all over the UK and some bloody good one's north and south of the border, I was referring to the "if that's the case, it makes me think that they won't recognise English jib gold card holders that haven't done an apprenticeship." that makes perfect sense to me.

Right bearing in mind I've never had a jib card before as I've never worked for a jib firm I thought the gold card was the approved, and when you say I have to have a jib for 2 years then apply all I can find on that matter is

(2) Must have had two years' experience working as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.

I have we'll over 2 years experience but not 2 years with a card??

Que my breakdown any minute! Lol

There's dog rough sparks all over the UK and some bloody good one's north and south of the border, I was referring to the "if that's the case, it makes me think that they won't recognise English jib gold card holders that haven't done an apprenticeship." that makes perfect sense to me.

the point i was making in that statement was, how can you discriminate between gold card holders? you're either a jib graded spark or you're not.

and apprentice trained doesn't mean guaranteed top quality. like you said, there's good and bad everywhere.

Right bearing in mind I've never had a jib card before as I've never worked for a jib firm I thought the gold card was the approved, and when you say I have to have a jib for 2 years then apply all I can find on that matter is

(2) Must have had two years' experience working as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.

I have we'll over 2 years experience but not 2 years with a card??

Que my breakdown any minute! Lol

are you listening carefully ? i'll run through it one more time.............

send off your application with all the documentation they ask for....

if you meet the criteria , they will issue you a gold ECS card with the grading of electrician.

2 years after getting the first card , you can then apply for approved status , but they wont give it automatically just cos you got the 2391 , they will also want employer references proving that youve carried out all the duties and responsibilities of an approved electrician in recent roles.

and it doesnt matter if youve never worked for a jib company either.

got it ?
sheesh.
;-)

loads of C&G numbers , but as usual absolutely no mention of work experience or types
of jobs / roles undertaken ??

everyone seems to think getting a gold card is some sort of ticket chase - its not , they want to see a checkable career path.
and as shagbite says , everyone has to hold standard electrician grade for 2 years before getting approved.

Fair point, I've done shop fitting converting the costa coffees around the uk, I've worked on the council contracts, decent homes contract, agency for 6 months (Luton a&e fire alarms and the shard to name a few) now I work for BP on the petrol stations so a lot of TT work, I've done quite a broad range to be honest, wouldn't class myself as the mutts nutts as I'm learning every day although I've definitely class myself as competent.

I agree no discrimination, I think the JIB should take a leaf out of the SJIB's book so they both sing from the same hymn sheet as they say

are you listening carefully ? i'll run through it one more time.............

send off your application with all the documentation they ask for....

if you meet the criteria , they will issue you a gold ECS card with the grading of electrician.

2 years after getting the first card , you can then apply for approved status , but they wont give it automatically just cos you got the 2391 , they will also want employer references proving that youve carried out all the duties and responsibilities of an approved electrician in recent roles.

and it doesnt matter if youve never worked for a jib company either.

got it ?
sheesh.
;-)

Yes thank you very much mate

Fair point, I've done shop fitting converting the costa coffees around the uk, I've worked on the council contracts, decent homes contract, agency for 6 months (Luton a&e fire alarms and the shard to name a few) now I work for BP on the petrol stations so a lot of TT work, I've done quite a broad range to be honest, wouldn't class myself as the mutts nutts as I'm learning every day although I've definitely class myself as competent.

good ! thats alot more important than the latest ****y pat testing cert.

you should be eligible with that track record. as long as you were doing electrics and not making the frappe whatsits??

biff is spot on, but its nothing against you tommy its these f in training centres they should be shut down av never heard of anyone gettin sorted thru them its all a con

I agree no discrimination, I think the JIB should take a leaf out of the SJIB's book so they both sing from the same hymn sheet as they say

who cares how the haggis munchers run their operation north of the border.
its not as if theres thousands of english sparks queueing up to work in scotland.

Yeah I studied at Langley college day release, I'm sure one the posters here is either my old lecturer or his son he was called phill watts and is associated with the poster widdler I think??

Anyway biff I thought that the 2377 pat test made you a qualified spark? ;)

in haggisland you can do an adult apprenticeship for free as long you are working in this case with all ur certs you would get away with doing only the last 2 years and doing the am2 ie trade test but no matter how many years experience you have you still have to do a further 2 years to be approved

Reply to Another jib thread - sorry!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net