Discuss Another jib thread - sorry!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tell me about it. every time i go to blackpool i try and find someone with a lancashire accent - mission impossible - they're all scottish or scouse.

as far as i know you do an exam and a practical test and must prove you have been working ie put forward by your work , but as we all know you can have all the certs in the world but still not be up to much on site ,experience is the best qualification , i have 2394 and hopefully 2395 but am s**** at testing because i dont do it

Some here stated that the SJIB don't recognise NVQ 3 gained via training centre's. How can that be, the NVQ itself is a C&G qualification, so if a bona fide C&G certificate has been issued, how can they refuse to recognise it??

I think a bit of hearsay is creeping in here!! lol!!

For all of the JIB and SJIB faults, they are a solid brick/concrete wall to the Electrical Trainee etc, that seem to dominate the domestic sector these days...

Some here stated that the SJIB don't recognise NVQ 3 gained via training centre's. after a cursory glance at the sjib site, it would appear that they only give out gold cards to time served sparks (i may be wrong, i only gave it a quick look), but that leads me to question whether or not sjib sites would allow (non apprentice trained) jib sparks on their jobs (just a thought - not a statement).

How can that be, the NVQ itself is a C&G qualification, so if a bona fide C&G certificate has been issued, how can they refuse to recognise it?? my point exactly. it doesn't matter if you took the exam in college or in the boot of your dad's car, the qualifications are exactly the same. and whether you're apprentice trained or an adult trainee, the constituent parts that make up a "fully qualified spark" are no different (technical cert's + 17th + nvq3 + am2 - in some cases). the only difference i can see on the jib cards is some of them have printed on the back - served apprenticeship.

I think a bit of hearsay is creeping in here!! lol!!

For all of the JIB and SJIB faults, they are a solid brick/concrete wall to the Electrical Trainee etc, that seem to dominate the domestic sector these days...agreed, 100%.

when i said sjib dont recognise these schemes it was hearsay , it was hearsay from an sjib training officer when he was asked the question , as i said they will still take it into account but you would still have to do the last few years of the apprenticeship and the am2

if you think about it , anyone could go and do one of these courses get an nvq get 2391 get pv ticket and have never picked up a tool in there life , never done any electrical work , and you think the sjib or jib will just hand over a grading card

I did my nvq 3 through XS training and believe you me, it was hard....4 hours a night filling in my site diary and sending it off to my assessor, onl for him to send it back because I hadnt put enough info in.....over 600 pictures of different work types and I had to be in "every" one!! You also have to do each unit 3 times instead of 2, if you dont have the AM2, which I dont!!

I did my 2330, 17th and 2391 at college a while back as an adult trainee and I was lucky enough to be working as a mate at the same time, so I also gained the practical experiance at the same time.

There were some times when I thought, "What the f$&ck am I doing this for!!!"

Now my gold card says "Completed apprenticeship" on the back!!

Jay

On the JIB form doesnt it ask for all pervious companies, i know when i filled mine out i gave my full employment history, roles in employment and my current employer had to sign to say everything was correct. Im in my 5th year of having a Gold card now and about to do my 2394/95 so hopefully when its due next year i will get Approved!

On the JIB form doesnt it ask for all pervious companies, i know when i filled mine out i gave my full employment history, roles in employment and my current employer had to sign to say everything was correct. Im in my 5th year of having a Gold card now and about to do my 2394/95 so hopefully when its due next year i will get Approved!

Yeah, it asks for referances from employers, job roles etc.....
Funny thing is, when I applied for the gold card, there was a section of the form that asked about Scheme membership...so I put down my Elecsa reg number and sent a copy of my reg cert....I recieved an additional card with my pic on, the ECS logo and Elecsa logo...It also said "Qualified Supervisor" on it....makes a great ID badge when im going to do quotes, looks professional and didnt cost a bean...they must have some affiliation????

Jay

Haha thats alright for free! After i get my approved next year its then working towards Technician, get the 2396 done, i do quite a bit of design etc at the minute in the office a couple of days a week. Very long process to get to the top of the gradings and i hope they keep the standard up, will be probably 13 years after i got my Trainee card to getting technician!

Edit, sorry just read its 5 years as a Approved electrician to get Technician!

Yeah, it asks for referances from employers, job roles etc.....
Funny thing is, when I applied for the gold card, there was a section of the form that asked about Scheme membership...so I put down my Elecsa reg number and sent a copy of my reg cert....I recieved an additional card with my pic on, the ECS logo and Elecsa logo...It also said "Qualified Supervisor" on it....makes a great ID badge when im going to do quotes, looks professional and didnt cost a bean...they must have some affiliation????

Jay

Hi mate
the Qualified supervisor card with your Elecsa Logo and scheme membership has to be renewed every year at a cost of about ÂŁ8.50 I believe it doesnt last as long as your JIB Gold card
Its only included free when you initially send for gold card
each year in between you will have to pay extra to have it renewed and then on 3rd year renew your Gold card then it should be free with it again lol
another scam for your money

As for the Op with the Quals you have fill in the form get a ex employer or someone you subbied for to sign section 10 if you can if not fill in the section for self employed if you can Or alternatively incluse a letter stating everyhting you have ever done involving electrics Either way you will get Installation Electrician Gold card and as Biff says after 2 years of holding that you can then apply for Approved status

Reply to Another jib thread - sorry!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net