Discuss Approved tradesmen scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We used to regularly have threads on here complaining about how joining the NICEIC etc is too easy and they are letting anyone in.
Many posts would be calling for the NICEIC to toughen up their membership requirements and only allow fully qualified electricians to join.

And now here we have a thread complaining that they've done what we were asking for!
Its not that we are complaining about them being too stringent, its more to do with the fact that to wire a socket in a bedroom for someone you need to jump though numerous expensive hoops but to wire a full factory with three phase and many killing machines you don't need anything, its just madness.

In my opinion every spark should be assessed just once or maybe every 10 years or so to see if they can actually do the job, if they can then they can operate as an electrician whether they have qualifications or not, they could then get a licence to operate as an electrician in any field, payable to the government, just like a driving licence. You wouldn't be able to employ anyone who didn't have a licence and use yours instead, just like a driver cant use your driving licence to drive a truck.

But where is the money in that, imagine the NICEIC faced with that scenario, they would run out of brown envelopes trying to stop it.

£700 for a cooker feed sounds about right to me! I'll run them in all day and night for that!
Anyway, just to put a different slant on paying £500 a year for joining a scheme, in a previous life my "scheme" charged £1200/year and there was no way of avoiding that. Plus, you had to show evidence of PI cover (no choice of provider, you had to use the schemes provider) and at the last count the premium was around £50k, on top of which you had to pay an excess of £9k on each and every claim, and you also had to show at least 20 hours CPD each year.
So glad I retired and just do smokes, ISITEE, minor domestic electrics and LRA for some private landlords. As I've said before, the paperwork now is minimal, thank goodness!

Its no even the £500 a year thats the problem, I don't mind paying that if it keeps the cowboys out. Its the never ending changes to everything, all because they want to maximise their revenue stream, not to make things any safer. remember when an amendment to the regs meant printing out a bit of paper and sticking it into your book, nowadays an amendment means you have to buy an new £80 book and do a £400 update course, all so you can carry on doing exactly the same as you did before.

Its no even the £500 a year thats the problem, I don't mind paying that if it keeps the cowboys out. Its the never ending changes to everything, all because they want to maximise their revenue stream, not to make things any safer. remember when an amendment to the regs meant printing out a bit of paper and sticking it into your book, nowadays an amendment means you have to buy an new £80 book and do a £400 update course, all so you can carry on doing exactly the same as you did before.

But it's the same in a lot of other professions don't forget.

And you don't carry on exactly as you did before - you adapt to changes. Otherwise nobody would be fitting RCBOs, SPDs, etc and would still be fitting type AC RCDs.

But it's the same in a lot of other professions don't forget.

And you don't carry on exactly as you did before - you adapt to changes. Otherwise nobody would be fitting RCBOs, SPDs, etc and would still be fitting type AC RCDs.

It's 100 times worse in many professions. Life in this day and age is about regulation and arse covering - we can accept this and live with it or ignore it and deal with the potential consequences.

It's 100 times worse in many professions. Life in this day and age is about regulation and arse covering - we can accept this and live with it or ignore it and deal with the potential consequences.

With the amount of dodgy wiring I rip out (its every single job I ever go to) its plainly obvious to me the consequences are zero.

With the amount of dodgy wiring I rip out (its every single job I ever go to) its plainly obvious to me the consequences are zero.

Do whatever you feel you need to do where regulations are concerned, but moaning on a forum isn't going to make any difference. You have the freedom of personal choice: comply or don't. While I agree that little seems to be done about dangerous work, it's worth remembering that you only have to be unlucky once when choosing to ignore regulations which aren't to your liking.

I do hope if you're unlucky enough to be the exception who faces consequences that you take it on the chin and not moan about how others always get away with it.

Do whatever you feel you need to do where regulations are concerned, but moaning on a forum isn't going to make any difference. You have the freedom of personal choice: comply or don't. While I agree that little seems to be done about dangerous work, it's worth remembering that you only have to be unlucky once when choosing to ignore regulations which aren't to your liking.

I do hope if you're unlucky enough to be the exception who faces consequences that you take it on the chin and not moan about how others always get away with it.
Not sure why its gone from me not agreeing with how its all set up and accusing the part P schemers of scamming people to me being a cowboy who does dodgy work but hey ho.

Not sure why its gone from me not agreeing with how its all set up and accusing the part P schemers of scamming people to me being a cowboy who does dodgy work but hey ho.

Who accused you of scamming customers or being a cowboy? I simply addressed your points about not complying with regulations.

Its not that we are complaining about them being too stringent, its more to do with the fact that to wire a socket in a bedroom for someone you need to jump though numerous expensive hoops but to wire a full factory with three phase and many killing machines you don't need anything, its just madness.

So your issue isn't with the NICEIC then but is in fact with the building regulations?

There are consequences.

I've been to A&E as a result of someones dodgy work, I know of one electrician who lost their eyesight for 3 days and the company where I served my apprenticeship had previously had an apprentice electrician die due to someone else's dodgy work.

The consequences are very serious!

There are consequences.

I've been to A&E as a result of someones dodgy work, I know of one electrician who lost their eyesight for 3 days and the company where I served my apprenticeship had previously had an apprentice electrician die due to someone else's dodgy work.

The consequences are very serious!
So not notifying = work that puts people in hospital? Come on you don't really believe that.

Read the post that I was replying to, it is saying that there are zero consequences to dodgy electrical work.
Zero for the person doing the dodgy work. I myself have been injured due to other peoples incompetence. There is only ever one case that made the media from what I can recal, Emma Shaw and then the tester only got a slap on the wrist, that was 10 years ago or more.

Did not the guy who wired up the outside lights in the Public house where the child was killed go to prison?

12 months.

The main reason it got media attention was along the lines of a relative was a MP?

That was a different case.

A local electrician was jailed a few months back for 45 months. Granted he was caught carrying 4kg of cocaine.

Quite a few electricians have been jailed for leaving behind dangerous work and also for causing death through negligence. I have this thing called Google and it took me seconds to find quite a few examples in recent years.

There is a certain matter conscience involved here.
Just because 'rules' are not followed or even ignored, doesn't mean they are wrong.

It is a law of the land that many domestic installations, of all kind, should be notified. If an electrician, for example, wants to bypass said law, it is up to them. If danger and problems result, let them take the consequences.......but if someone dies as a result, could they care a tinkers about conscience and taking blame?

Most of our customers request certification and, in domestic instances, registration with the local authority. So we do it, not just because it is required by law. After all, as an NICEIC member, we did everything else but register before it began. To me, it meant a lot more then.

To tell you the truth, I don't half see some crap work around....dangerous and extremely sub standard. Are those responsible scam registered or are they taking back handers in the pub? Or do they just refuse to bow to 'rules', lawful or not?

You pay your money, you take your chance, it seems......as usual....and that is getting more worrying by the day.

Last edited:
There is a certain matter conscience involved here.
Just because 'rules' are not followed or even ignored, doesn't mean they are wrong.
Even the British Standards are not rules, but advisory, they may well be used in court as a reference, but if proof can be given that the work was over and above the standard then that would be taken into account and any case based on the BS would be void, the HSE are not in the business of bringing case's to court that they don't think they can win, in the case of a death however, that would be a criminal proceeding and not brought by the HSE even if they where asked for comment as they may well have been called to the scene of the accident/failure.

Reply to Approved tradesmen scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net