Discuss Approved tradesmen scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It is a law of the land that many domestic installations, of all kind, should be notified. If an electrician, for example, wants to bypass said law, it is up to them. If danger and problems result, let them take the consequences.......but if someone dies as a result, could they care a tinkers about conscience and taking blame?
Again for some reason we're equating not telling someone you've done work with potential danger. Why? Why would 'danger and problems result' from not notifying?

Again for some reason we're equating not telling someone you've done work with potential danger. Why? Why would 'danger and problems result' from not notifying?
That link has been made numerous times by others defending the notion of non compliance with building regulations. As such it is quite reasonable to respond to the argument.

Even the British Standards are not rules, but advisory, they may well be used in court as a reference, but if proof can be given that the work was over and above the standard then that would be taken into account and any case based on the BS would be void, the HSE are not in the business of bringing case's to court that they don't think they can win, in the case of a death however, that would be a criminal proceeding and not brought by the HSE even if they where asked for comment as they may well have been called to the scene of the accident/failure.
Rules /law /guidelines. Amazing how millions didnt know the difference during covid !

Someone who has such a blasé attitude to complying with the statutory requirement to notify, is likely to carry over that attitude to other aspects of their work. Such as the requirements for earthing the armour of an armoured cable.
There may be some truth in this, although I think it's more likely to be the other way round - someone who carries out sloppy work is less likely to go to the effort of notifying the job. That said, I (and probably most of us here) have seen work where about the only thing that was done right was the notification.

It won't.

There was an earlier post suggesting that all of the dangerous work out there never had any consequences.
This is the post I'm referring to:
It is a law of the land that many domestic installations, of all kind, should be notified. If an electrician, for example, wants to bypass said law, it is up to them. If danger and problems result, let them take the consequences.......but if someone dies as a result, could they care a tinkers about conscience and taking blame?

Pehaps I'm misread ipf's post, but I too am struggling to see how not notifying a job would result in death.
It reads bad, yes. My fault, late.
Maybe As a result of things in general not being done correctly.
or 'If danger and problems result, due to bad workmanship,

Danger would not result from non notification but notifying is, to some extent, a method of taking responsibility for the job as a whole.
It is only part P, after all :)

Last edited:
I'll agree, the system is a mess, but it's not going to improve the situation if sparks, be they PP registered or not, just ignore it.
It would though. If every spark said 'No, this is stupid and i'm not doing it. Let's see you police it, LOL.' they would HAVE to put sensible rules in place. You know like letting qualified men actually install basic circuits in houses without having to pay for it. The qualifications mean nothing if you can't use them to carry out the actual work they relate to.

IMO the qualifications should be 18th, NVQ, AM2, and full testing and inspection. Once you have those you should be able to touch any install you like without having to pay because passing them proves you know how to do electrics safely. The only thing i would change about this is i would make the 18th test an actual test of your knowledge on the regs and not just a 'can you find it in the book' exercise. It should imo be rolled into the inspection and testing qualification as they sort of go hand in hand.

If this isn't good enough, then instead of introducing stupid rules like schemes they should simply make the qualifications more in depth and harder to achieve.

Last edited:
It would though. If every spark said 'No, this is stupid and i'm not doing it. Let's see you police it, LOL.' they would HAVE to put sensible rules in place. You know like letting qualified men actually install basic circuits in houses without having to pay for it. The qualifications mean nothing if you can't use them to carry out the actual work they relate to.

IMO the qualifications should be 18th, NVQ, AM2, and full testing and inspection. Once you have those you should be able to touch any install you like without having to pay because passing them proves you know how to do electrics safely. The only thing i would change about this is i would make the 18th test an actual test of your knowledge on the regs and not just a 'can you find it in the book' exercise.

If this isn't good enough, then instead of introducing stupid rules like schemes they should simply make the qualifications more in depth and harder to achieve.

Some of those suggestions are great, but at odds with the fact that on many occasions you've told people not to bother with qualifications and to crack on regardless.

IMO the qualifications should be 18th, NVQ, AM2, and full testing and inspection. Once you have those you should be able to touch any install you like without having to pay because passing them proves you know how to do electrics safely. The only thing i would change about this is i would make the 18th test an actual test of your knowledge on the regs and not just a 'can you find it in the book' exercise. It should imo be rolled into the inspection and testing qualification as they sort of go hand in hand.

You cant make the 18th a closed book exam, nobody can digest the whole book lol

You cant make the 18th a closed book exam, nobody can digest the whole book lol
Well no but you could instead for example have it as a part of the AM2 where you are given a made up customer spec and made to install it to regs, proving you know practical application of 7671.

'Customer wants upstairs and downstairs sockets and lighting, outside lighting, power to an outbuilding powering X circuits, a cooker, a shower, and a hive system for heating/hot water.'

And then you have a professional discussion after where you describe why you chose a 20a radial for the sockets in the shed instead of a ring. Or why you put all incoming cables into one entry hole. Or why you used SWA for the outdoor building. Or why you used a fused spur here and not there. What height did you put sockets and why? Why have you put labels on stuff?

Well no but you could instead for example have it as a part of the AM2 where you are given a made up customer spec and made to install it to regs, proving you know practical application of 7671.

What do you think the AM2 is?

It involves installing to a given spec. You make a list of materials and get to work - obviously the installation must comply with BS7671.

Edit: To be fair you also suggest an element of design, which would indeed be a good addition to it.

I took my car to the main dealer due to an intermittent fault with the electrics. Ok, intermittent ones are a hassle...but the mechanic, sorry, technician, was finally able to replicate the fault...but his computer couldn't tell him what it was or how to fix it because the computer didn't have that fault code. Not the technicians fault, he is highly trained and has all the certificates for working on this vehicle.
In effect, he has his Domestic Installer badge and is "Part P" registered (?) (so glad it's not a thing in Scotland) but he has no idea how to fix the problem. I leave. It's a minor glitch and life is short.
A week later I went to a local tyre place, needing 2 new tyres. As I chatted to the proprietor I mentioned the problem I had with the electrics.
5 minutes later he came back and said it was fixed...a well known problem with these cars...
Experience? Yes. Paperwork and certificates? No.
Do a good job and be able to repel all those who question your work. If you do a good job, you need no backup. If you do a bad job, your scheme membership will not save you...nor should it.
Plough your furrow, but plough it well.

Reply to Approved tradesmen scheme in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net