Discuss Armoured Cable Question. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
“The reason for condemning the supply to the oak building was because of the test reading it got, it was 371 ohms which made it non compliant"

We need to understand in layman's terms.

Do you have a report that you can share?

A bit of background would help,
have you asked for an EICR or some other additional electrical installation ?

if you have asked and paid for a report, you should get one.

if they have turned off or removed supply to that circuit against your wishes then they should have provided an electrical danger notice.

Which test result was 371 ohms.

Is it 371 ohm between conductors? (Insulation resistance)

As above. We need a lot more detail.

A bit of background would help,
have you asked for an EICR or some other additional electrical installation ?

if you have asked and paid for a report, you should get one.

if they have turned off or removed supply to that circuit against your wishes then they should have provided an electrical danger notice.
I asked for Electrical Test Reports for two recently installed Consumer Units. I paid £500 reduced from £900 but the Reports were not received despite many written and verbal requests. The Electrician has since refused to oproivide Reports say they would be Failure Certificates and we are worried and want to know what is wrong. The quote I put on the forum means nothing to us as home owners. We have no proof he is qualified but we must believe that he is. I wrote to the NICEIC and to Napit but neither have any records. I was not able to provide an address for him. I am asking an NICEIC Electriian to do the Test Reports and if they Fail we must know and understand the reasons so we can carry out any safety works needed, if any.

That’s as descriptive as “your cable’s f**ked”

Is it 371 ohm between conductors? (Insulation resistance)

As above. We need a lot more detail.
I am a home owner and not an electrician and I do not understand. I am commissioning a further Test by an NICEIC Registered Electrician.

There isn't a Failure Certificate they should issue an Electrical Installation Condition Report, this will either be satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

There isn't a Failure Certificate they should issue an Electrical Installation Condition Report, this will either be satisfactory or unsatisfactory.
I may be using the wrong terminology but the Electrician we commissioned knew exactly what we wanted. He simply wrote:

“The reason for condemning the supply to the oak building was because of the test reading it got, it was 371 ohms which made it non compliant"

We did not get an Electrical Installation Condition Report. I am sorry if I am not being very helpful.

I may be using the wrong terminology but the Electrician we commissioned knew exactly what we wanted. He simply wrote:

We did not get an Electrical Installation Condition Report. I am sorry if I am not being very helpful.
No you are fine but this individuals statement is vague it could mean a few things.

No you are fine but this individuals statement is vague it could mean a few things.
Thank you and I agree. My wife and I simply want to do anything to make our wiring safe, if it is not. I challenged him but I do not have the technical skills. I suggested that no Wholesaler or Trader or Retailer would sell a non compliant armoured cable and I am blanked. I thought it may be unlawful but I am not in my comfort zone not being an electrician. It is also hard to believe an experienced and qualified electrician would use a non-compliant cable.

It is not likely to be non compliant cable but a fault which has developed.

Reactions: DPG
Thank you for taking the time on a Sunday evening to assist me. If it is necessary I will instruct the replacement of this armoured cable although it will be a big job. Our safety is paramount of course.

Or something was left connected during the test, or it could just be a downright lie to get more money under false pretences from the OP.
You will have to excuse my synical thinking but there are a lot of people out there claiming to be qualified who have not got a clue

Thank you for taking the time on a Sunday evening to assist me. If it is necessary I will instruct the replacement of this armoured cable although it will be a big job. Our safety is paramount of course.
Cable may not need replacing just wait for the second electrician. I suspect the reading they have stated is a high earth fault loop impedance (Zs) due to a breakdown of conductor continuity, this is an assumption though. If this is the case it may be possible to correct this.

Or something was left connected during the test, or it could just be a downright lie to get more money under false pretences from the OP.
You will have to excuse my synical thinking but there are a lot of people out there claiming to be qualified who have not got a clue
Thank you again Ung. He was introduced as a teacher (Electrics) and I always believed this and still do. Is there a way I can find out his qualifications? Please do not trouble to reply so late in the day but perhaps tomorrow if you do not mind. May I ask if you are Surrey based?

Thank you again Ung. He was introduced as a teacher (Electrics) and I always believed this and still do. Is there a way I can find out his qualifications? Please do not trouble to reply so late in the day but perhaps tomorrow if you do not mind. May I ask if you are Surrey based?
Don't worry about the time and day people will respond at all hours.

Thank you again Ung. He was introduced as a teacher (Electrics) and I always believed this and still do.
There is a saying that those that can't do it, teach although I do know a few good lads that went into teaching because they got fed up of crawling round sites in all the muck
Is there a way I can find out his qualifications?
Unfortunately not
Please do not trouble to reply so late in the day but perhaps tomorrow if you do not mind.
This is relaxation time beer in one hand one finger typing with the other
May I ask if you are Surrey based?
Unfortunately not I live just off J24 of the M6 and the furthest south I get these days with work is Shropshire

Don't worry about the time and day people will respond at all hours.

There is a saying that those that can't do it, teach although I do know a few good lads that went into teaching because they got fed up of crawling round sites in all the muck

Unfortunately not

This is relaxation time beer in one hand one finger typing with the other

Unfortunately not I live just off J24 of the M6 and the furthest south I get these days with work is Shropshire
I also have a beer in hand. You have helped me a lot. I hope I can now ask reasonably intelligent questions about this armoured cable and the alleged reading. What if I find it is not true! I am trying to give this man the benefit of my doubts but I am struggling.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Armoured Cable Question. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net