Discuss Breaking Main Fuse Seal.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gees all this over the same old done to death question,the red THINGY is a protective cap and are available from boddingtons electrical, if you dont want to pull the service fuse then do it the other way,turn of cu so no load on tails get your insulating gloves on and then using insulated cable crops cut the live tail and after stripping back about 20mm of sleeving insert into live on isolator repeat with neutral tail job done,either way if you get it wrong you get hurt or killed but then again if you have to come on a forum and ask how to do it then you shouldn't be doing it anyway .Training and experience are the key things with electricity.

Gees all this over the same old done to death question,the red THINGY is a protective cap and are available from boddingtons electrical, if you dont want to pull the service fuse then do it the other way,turn of cu so no load on tails get your insulating gloves on and then using insulated cable crops cut the live tail and after stripping back about 20mm of sleeving insert into live on isolator repeat with neutral tail job done,either way if you get it wrong you get hurt or killed but then again if you have to come on a forum and ask how to do it then you shouldn't be doing it anyway .Training and experience are the key things with electricity.

Seriously?? Telling someone how to work live?????????

Seriously?? Telling someone how to work live?????????
Well I dont know about you but I personally am getting sick to death of diy wonders coming onto a so called electricians forum! When I joined up it was a good forum with proper sparks and decent discussions,now its more like a drop in for B and Q every diyer and his dog turning up,If he is a proper spark then he will have the appropriate equipment and ppe, I have but then again I'm from an age when we did work live,when we had proper training and before these 2 week training courses that turn out so called sparks who haven't a clue! rant over

Well I dont know about you but I personally am getting sick to death of diy wonders coming onto a so called electricians forum! When I joined up it was a good forum with proper sparks and decent discussions,now its more like a drop in for B and Q every diyer and his dog turning up,If he is a proper spark then he will have the appropriate equipment and ppe, I have but then again I'm from an age when we did work live,when we had proper training and before these 2 week training courses that turn out so called sparks who haven't a clue! rant over

we most likely all do stuff we "shouldnt". just best not to go blabbing it on a public forum. you just dont know could happen ! lol

we most likely all do stuff we "shouldnt". just best not to go blabbing it on a public forum. you just dont know could happen ! lol
Well I wouldnt follow any advice if i didnt feel confident carrying out the procedure,but then again i was trained properly and wouldnt dream of asking about pulling a service fuse but by the same token I would not dream of carrying out a heart transplant as I am not a trained doctor and I know my limitations.

I agree with you on many of your points. I do things at work that I would not advise on this forum. Simply because I can not judge the level of competence or ability of the person asking the question.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you on many of your points. I do things at work that I would not advise on this forum. Simply because I can not judge the level of competence or ability of the person asking the question.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd much rather change a CU 'live', moving the tails with properly insulated tools and PPE to a temporary Henley block if necessary, than try to pull an ancient pre-war ceramic or bakelite fuse and risk it crumbing in my hand, and risking the fuse-police coming and giving me 20 lashes, or whatever happens these days.

I'd much rather change a CU 'live', moving the tails with properly insulated tools and PPE to a temporary Henley block if necessary, than try to pull an ancient pre-war ceramic or bakelite fuse and risk it crumbing in my hand, and risking the fuse-police coming and giving me 20 lashes, or whatever happens these days.
true but hang on a minute there are people going about that pay good coin for some bird in long black boots to give em 20 lashes,now you've said that they'll all be running around pulling service fuses lol.

Reply to Breaking Main Fuse Seal.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net