Discuss Buried meter tails more than 6 meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Boaky

I have been approached to 2nd fix a job someone started
but failed to finish due to ill health (apparently)
this guy has buried the meter tails which I estimate at about
6-8 meters (25 mm16mm earth) taken into the outside enclosure
I like to know peoples thoughts on this please
I'm thinking of fitting a type s RCCB in the enclosure
tails are run in a channel along floor then up a wall to the DB
i not sure about the zone once they are in the wall
Any advice is welcome please

What depth are the tails buried to? Any form of mechanical protection?

I am under the impression that tails over 3 meters must have a DP isolator at source, so fitting a type S RCCB wouldn't be an issue either way.

At the end of the day you will be the guy signing it off, so its up to you as to how you interpret the regulations as to be able to sign it off.

If it's a TT system it will need a 100mA S type at the origin plus a suitable OCPD for the submain.
If the buried tails don't have suitable protection where they are buried then it will need 30mA RCD protection.

I am under the impression that tails over 3 meters must have a DP isolator at source, so fitting a type S RCCB wouldn't be an issue either way.

Tails generally cannot be longer than 3metres, if they need to go further then you have to install a submain to feed the DB(s), you can't just install an isolator, that doesn't provide any overcurrent or fault protection

Reply to Buried meter tails more than 6 meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster here. Straight down to it.. A friend asked me to add some sockets and additional lights to a small...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Merry Christmas to everyone, and apologies for talking work during the holidays😅 I have my first EV charger install job early in the New...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
I’m rewiring a massive house and there’s a feed to a c.u in the old black rubber cable that needs replacing. I know that Meter tails follow the...
Replies
Views
Hi. Is there a better forum for this? Anyway I've moved into a new place and the meter is weird. (I just had one physical reading at my old house...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock