Discuss C3s putting you in harms way ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

but those live parts are not exposed/touchable when the fuse is in position. i stick with my C2.
Either way it fails so has to be sorted C1 or C2. The issues only really begin if a C2 is coded C3, and thats where you can get conflicts of opinion that do effect the results of the EICR ie satisfactory or unsatisfactory or as landlords see it pass card or fail card.

Plastic consumer units. Another one !
You code 3 it, or no code required.
2 years later main switch overheats, goes up in smoke, and your being asked why you didn't fail the install until the fitting of a metal c/u had been carried out.
I have never understood why or when "e.g. metal" became "must be metal" and the alternatives have been overlooked, dismissed or ignored, I wonder how many plastic CU's that are in a perfectly suitable fire rated enclosure have been miss coded. Then again how many would recognise if the cupboard the CU was located in was fire lined to a ½ or 1 hour rating
If the main switch overheats 2 years after inspection then it was probably incorrectly installed or the inspection didn't include checking the security / tightness of the terminals and putting it in a metal CU is not going to stop that problem of it overheating

Again should an EICR include some elements of a PPM as well as the inspection, test and certification

2 years later main switch overheats, goes up in smoke, and your being asked why you didn't fail the install until the fitting of a metal c/u had been carried out.
How about because the Wiring Regulations, and hence the law, do not mandate it?

Or because the fact that at the time you did the inspection plastic CUs could still be installed in offices, shops, schools, pubs, restaurants, care homes, indicated to you that plastic CUs did not need to be replaced as a matter of urgency?

How about because the Wiring Regulations, and hence the law, do not mandate it?
The grey area is the PRS and how it appears to mandate compliance with the 18th edition

Or because the fact that at the time you did the inspection plastic CUs could still be installed in offices, shops, schools, pubs, restaurants, care homes, indicated to you that plastic CUs did not need to be replaced as a matter of urgency?
Nothing to stop them being installed in domestic now if they are non combustible or in a fire rated enclosure

Reply to C3s putting you in harms way ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net