Discuss Can I replace 3-way toggles with 3-way motion switches? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Grigate

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I have two 3-way toggle switches by the opposite sides in my garage. Is it possible to replace both of them with motion sensors?
Thank you.
.grig

It probably is, however it would be best to get an electrician in to quote as it may be that they can reorganise the existing wiring to do it without adding any new cables and therefore you wont have to redecorate.

You no longer need a traditional 'two-way' (uk term) or 'three-way' (usa term) type wiring arrangement when using motion sensors.
You can wire two motion sensors in parallel (eg ones with relay contacts to do the switching) to the one light, to get the equivalent effect - you move within range of the sensor, the light goes on, you move away, it goes off. You don't need the 'other' sensor to do the turning off!

But you might consider whether this arrangement will actually work for you, having the light entirely controlled by motion. In my experience with simple sensors, when you stand still a while (or move out of range) the light eventually goes out, so doing any work in the garage at night might become a challenge!

You no longer need a traditional 'two-way' (uk term) or 'three-way' (usa term) type wiring arrangement when using motion sensors.
You can wire two motion sensors in parallel (eg ones with relay contacts to do the switching) to the one light, to get the equivalent effect - you move within range of the sensor, the light goes on, you move away, it goes off. You don't need the 'other' sensor to do the turning off!

But you might consider whether this arrangement will actually work for you, having the light entirely controlled by motion. In my experience with simple sensors, when you stand still a while (or move out of range) the light eventually goes out, so doing any work in the garage at night might become a challenge!
I probably did not explain my issue correctly. As I mentioned, I have two doors on the opposite sides of the garage. If I enter a door without a sensor with a vehicle parked inside, I will not be able to trigger the sensor at the other door (the vehicle will block it).
If you know a solution, can you provide an electrical diagram?
Thank you
.grig

I probably did not explain my issue correctly. As I mentioned, I have two doors on the opposite sides of the garage. If I enter a door without a sensor with a vehicle parked inside, I will not be able to trigger the sensor at the other door (the vehicle will block it).
If you know a solution, can you provide an electrical diagram?
Thank you
.grig
I should have prefaced my initial response by saying "yes" to your question!
My suggestion was to have two sensors on opposite sides of the garage (eg in the vicinity of the present switches and using their wiring) connected in parallel to the light you have. Whichever entrance you go in will trigger the sensor near that door and turn the light on, so I thought that would do what you required, if not then I haven't understood correctly.

There was a thread here on a slightly different issue, but it contains the basic circuit you would need (ignore the labels on the diagram - each switch represents each sensor: , ie the switched output of each goes to the light.

You should be able to work out how to connect the sensors from the principle illustrated in the above link, otherwise I suggest you get an electrician involved,

Last edited:
My suggestion was to have two sensors on opposite sides of the garage (eg in the vicinity of the present switches and using their wiring) connected in parallel to the light you have. Whichever entrance you go in will trigger the sensor near that door and turn the light on, so I thought that would do what you required, if not then I haven't understood correctly.

There was a thread here on a slightly different issue, but it contains the basic circuit you would need (ignore the labels on the diagram - each switch represents each sensor: , ie the switched output of each goes to the light.

You should be able to work out how to connect the sensors from the principle illustrated in the above link, otherwise I suggest you get an electrician involved,
You did understand my question correctly, it's I, who did not understand your answer, sorry. (I just have two 3-way motion sensors and wanted to use them so they don't go to waste.)
Thank you
.grig

You did understand my question correctly, it's I, who did not understand your answer, sorry. (I just have two 3-way motion sensors and wanted to use them so they don't go to waste.)
Thank you
.grig
I think you should be able to use those sensors you have. Good luck with the project.

Hi, I have two 3-way toggle switches by the opposite sides in my garage. Is it possible to replace both of them with motion sensors?
Thank you.
.grig
As long as you have a neutral in each switch box than sure and good luck. Welcome to the forum

Reply to Can I replace 3-way toggles with 3-way motion switches? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net