Discuss Cannot get RCD test to work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the Zs is 0.9 then I don't see the touch voltage being set @ 25V being the problem, I would check the continuity of the CPC all the way through the circuit though.

I would also try the test at the outgoing terminals of the RCD with the outgoing circuit disconnected first too, to narrow down where the problem may lie, it maybe simply that the RCD is faulty.

I too think the device is being tested on the input side ,as Trev says , also don't forget to isolate the outgoing circuit if pos to avoid false readings ,,LOL,,,

as above. try it again. might be a duff rcd.

however....you say it works on the test button.....but not at the load...

whip that RCD fcu off and make sure the outgoing CPC is connected....it may have come out when you pushed the front on...

or it may be that you didn`t connect it at all....as if the sleeving moved over the conductor then it could have given the impression that a secure termination had been acheaved....when in reality its not...

Last edited:
however....you say it works on the test button.....but not at the load...

whip that RCD fcu off and make sure the outgoing CPC is connected....it may have come out when you pushed the front on...

or it may be that you didn`t connect it at all....as if the sleeving moved over the conductor then it could have given the impression that a secure termination had been asheaved....when in reality its not...

Should have proven all that if he's done the EFLI test before RCD test ,,

If the Zs is 0.9 then I don't see the touch voltage being set @ 25V being the problem, I would check the continuity of the CPC all the way through the circuit though.

I would also try the test at the outgoing terminals of the RCD with the outgoing circuit disconnected first too, to narrow down where the problem may lie, it maybe simply that the RCD is faulty.

Continuity of CPC was proved.

That is a very good idea Spark68 and I should have done that.

Which implies that he has not tested at the load terminals of the device. You test the device not the circuit

Would you not test the circuit as well Trev? When you test an RCD in a CU you test that on the circuit somewhere, generally a socket?

I have had one of those units duff before. Would not trip at 30ma. Did 100ma Ramp test and it operated at 70ma. After that it operated at 23Ma. Still returned it as felt it could be unreliable.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, i once spent and age trying to find out why an RCD wouldn't trip, i was testing on the supply side, took a while for the penny to drop, and not before i had stripped the bloody thing out before i realised what i had done.

So maybe i am a waste of space after all! :dunce2:

Reply to Cannot get RCD test to work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net