Discuss Changeover Switch for Domestic Standby Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Domestic client wants a Standby Supply.

One of the items I need is a 100 Amp 2 pole Changeover Switch in an Amd 3 box (all steel). It would be helpful if it had indicators for Mains and Generator ON.

The only one I've found is on Ebay in a Lewden enclosure but I'm doubtful about the switch which is 2 position and doesn't appear to have any markings on it (like EN nos or make).

Help!:sad3:

Pete

Domestic client wants a Standby Supply.

One of the items I need is a 100 Amp 2 pole Changeover Switch in an Amd 3 box (all steel). It would be helpful if it had indicators for Mains and Generator ON.

The only one I've found is on Ebay in a Lewden enclosure but I'm doubtful about the switch which is 2 position and doesn't appear to have any markings on it (like EN nos or make).

Help!:sad3:

Pete

What EN numbers you looking for? These are just main switches that are configured to provide a changeover function. I've used one myself in the past.

Can always label it yourself with regard to mains/generator.

Contrary to wide opinion it doesn't need to have a 3 position switch 551.6.1

Hi Pete999 and Snowhead.
These are the switches that I looked at.
It doesn't appear to comply with 551.6.1. The only type of changeover switch listed is in indent (iii) and is 3 position, not 2.

Additionally this switch is for sale as a seperate module with photos from all directions and I couldn't see a manufacturer's or standard mark on it. All electrical items have to meet certain standards. In the case of CU mains switches it's BS EN 60947-3 and they're stamped with it. See Table 53.4.

So, I'm not willing to stake my reputation or client's safety on this switch. What else is around?

Cheers
Pete

If you want quality give Craig and derricot a ring, they'll make whatever you want if it's not a standard item, and it will last forever

If you want expensive then go for MEM

What I would do for an indicator is a light which illuminates when both supplies are live but goes off when only one is live so that you know when power has been restored but doesn't sit there glowing pointlessly for 99% of the time

What EN numbers you looking for? These are just main switches that are configured to provide a changeover function. I've used one myself in the past.

Can always label it yourself with regard to mains/generator.

Contrary to wide opinion it doesn't need to have a 3 position switch 551.6.1

By what logic do you say a 3 position switch isn't needed? Surely by simple common sense you'd want a three position switch? Otherwise you'll be adding a main switch before the changeover switch as the changeover switch won't work as a main switch

By what logic do you say a 3 position switch isn't needed? Surely by simple common sense you'd want a three position switch? Otherwise you'll be adding a main switch before the changeover switch as the changeover switch won't work as a main switch

If you already have a main switch (say, the DNO isolator), then the changeover switch doesn't need to provide this function. However, 551.6.1 (iii) says "A three-position break-before-make changeover switch", rather than just "A break-before-make changeover switch" which I think is adding an unnecessary extra requirement.

551.6.1 has 5 options, not all will have a 3 position changeover switch. Item (iii) specifically mentions break before make but the other 4 seem to imply other means of ensuring that both supplies cannot be connected at the same time.

From what I can see of the mechanism in the examples shown the configuration does ensure both supplies cannot be on at the same time (unless there is a fault in the switch - but that'll apply to all types of COS), it just has a mains or generator option - no 'totally off' option. So I guess the example shown comes under option (v) of 551.6.1

551.6.1 has 5 options, not all will have a 3 position changeover switch. Item (iii) specifically mentions break before make but the other 4 seem to imply other means of ensuring that both supplies cannot be connected at the same time.

From what I can see of the mechanism in the examples shown the configuration does ensure both supplies cannot be on at the same time (unless there is a fault in the switch - but that'll apply to all types of COS), it just has a mains or generator option - no 'totally off' option. So I guess the example shown comes under option (v) of 551.6.1

Hi Guys
Thanks for your comments. Spoke to Tech Help at NICEIC. The clue is in the text 551.6.1 Suitable precautions may (not should) include one or more of the following: - Advised that the centre OFF position woud only be needed for maintenance reasons. Can't think of any!

Also, I've just spotted BS EN 60947-3 and rating stamped below the dolly on the switch in snowhead's example.

So I'll give it a try. This is the one to buy. The enclosure is fully Amd 3 compliant (metal case with metal lid) and also has Neon indicators.

Cheers

Pete

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Reply to Changeover Switch for Domestic Standby Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net