Discuss Charity in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

I think someone tried to scam me.
Had someone phone up on my works number asking for money for cancer children on my area.
Said I could be the electrician that has the only advert in there mag.
Was a number in my town.

I couldn't And said I couldn't because I didn't have the funds.

Get another call again talking about funds for this mag, this time from Manchester, I can hear children in the background.

I have had quite a few calls of this nature from conning barstewards in the past. I even had one from a guy saying he was in the police and responsible for advertising in a police monthly journal, same thing "you will be our favoured and only electrician". His patter was quite believable as well. At the time I said I would think about it and asked him to ring me back the next day. In the meantime I contacted the local police who confirmed he was nothing to do with the police and although there was an actual magazine, it just mostly sat in foyers of stations and had little readership. I have since heard other such schemes have similar magazines that never even get delivered. When the guy rang back I told him I had rumbled him, he got really nasty and I ended up telling him to F off. Don't be conned there are some real lowlifes out there after your ££££££

Many of the genuine charity's are as bad for hounding, we've got a few standing orders giving a few quid a month, but they are constantly wanting more - every month we get a small pile of guff in the post about their next super important campaign, emails, phone calls ......

They are not spose to call you out of.the blue...

I know I did one chairity when I was unemployed, just £5 and then I get a phone call to up it to £10 and.then another to £20. That's when I had to cancel. I then had another chairity and did £5 and.then a.phone call asking to up it to £10, said I could then another asking upping it to £20.
Seems to be a set.pattion, than asking if you could.give.any.

Many of the genuine charity's are as bad for hounding, we've got a few standing orders giving a few quid a month, but they are constantly wanting more - every month we get a small pile of guff in the post about their next super important campaign, emails, phone calls ......

The door to door charity people are more like salesmen these days. Keep asking why you won't give them your bank details and won't take no for an answer. Makes me want to give less to charity to be honest. Daz

I bought something off screwfix today £6.99, took the option to 'round it up' to £7.00 for charity.
That means the next time I tell a charity collector I donate online, I won't be lying ! :cool3:

The charity advertising magazine calls are usually a scam. Retired policemen's mag, cancer charity, kid's charity, ill animals charity etc.

I usually weed them out by asking them to send me a physical copy of the mag.. "Well err we can't do that but you can look at a mock up page online" See ya later pal.

"Our 96 page mag will have you as the only electrician as we only allow one ad per trade"
"Really ? So at an average of 4 ads per page what are the other 383 categories ?"
"Errr what ?"
See ya later pal.

Last load of cobblers was for a national crime prevention magazine.

and she aint the only one all big charitys are the same now!!!

SurveyV2.jpg

makes you think before giving

The door to door charity people are more like salesmen these days. Keep asking why you won't give them your bank details and won't take no for an answer. Makes me want to give less to charity to be honest. Daz

My area gets hit every 2nd week with door to door charity volunteers. The conversation quickly stops when I tell them that I donate to charities of my choice and not charities knocking on my door at 7:30pm.... Good luck, good night......

I bought something off screwfix today £6.99, took the option to 'round it up' to £7.00 for charity.
That means the next time I tell a charity collector I donate online, I won't be lying ! :cool3:

Went to a petrol station last week and when paying by card the PDQ machine asked me "do I want to donate 25p? Yes or No?

First time I've seen this, hope it does not become standard for the big petrol forecourts? (pressed no btw).

helping in two of my local every now and then. dodgy socket fixed, relamping of fluorescent lights, couple of leds for front window display.

Went to a petrol station last week and when paying by card the PDQ machine asked me "do I want to donate 25p? Yes or No?

First time I've seen this, hope it does not become standard for the big petrol forecourts? (pressed no btw).

I reckon in a few years - when you press NO there will be a further screen asking, Why Not ?
Cheeky beggers LOL

..... with a picture of starving child as the backdrop!!!!

We can all choose whichever charity we give to, most people dont like it forced upon them.
This really annoys me, pictures of starving children in an attempt to make us all feel guilty. Maybe we should get his email address and forward them on to the pope, most of these countries subscribe to his teachings and turn kids out as routine irrespective of their ability to feed or look after them.

My pet hate is charity muggers placed strategically down the high street every 20m or so.
harassing all and sundry to give five pounds or hand over the bank details.
its big business alright tugging at the heart strings
my wife's friend works in a charity shop where they have actual targets to meet every month.
turns out the charity was short of 350k to meet the yearly overall target.
a quick Social media campaign later and they had that money and more within 2 weeks.
i have stopped all charitable donations since.

My pet hate is charity muggers placed strategically down the high street every 20m or so.
harassing all and sundry to give five pounds or hand over the bank details.
its big business alright tugging at the heart strings
my wife's friend works in a charity shop where they have actual targets to meet every month.
turns out the charity was short of 350k to meet the yearly overall target.
a quick Social media campaign later and they had that money and more within 2 weeks.
i have stopped all charitable donations since.
The best thing to do is just put money in charity boxes when you are out and about. If I go down the co-op for whatever and it comes to £4.75 or whatever I just put the 25p in the box, assuming it's for something worthwhile and not the local conservative club. Every little helps.

They need to ask for money at right times ie say not over Xmas and January or month before and in the summer holidays also before school starts and September (as most children are born about 9.5 months from Xmas to new years)

You could do holiday ones, ie the British heart foundation dose valentines day "show someone your heart by giving in your love ones name"
"charity beings at home" for the nspcc

Reply to Charity in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net