Discuss Choice of cable for outside lights. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
What type of cable is best suited for outside lights, bearing in mind I do not want to use SWA or cable in conduits; just clip on to external wall, exposed to all elements of nature.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

well im going to get some flak for this , one you need to look out for mechanical damage hence the reason we use SWA and Conduit how ever if there is no chance of damage the you can use black coloured cable because it does not absorb the heat and UV rays which damage the cable like twin and earth so my best suggestion would be a black rubber 3 core flex with a minimum size of 1mm

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to use 1.5 norsk cable, wich is inexpensive, unless it's a mixed cicuit, use 2.5mm norsk and cable clips

well im going to get some flak for this , one you need to look out for mechanical damage hence the reason we use SWA and Conduit how ever if there is no chance of damage the you can use black coloured cable because it does not absorb the heat and UV rays which damage the cable like twin and earth so my best suggestion would be a black rubber 3 core flex with a minimum size of 1mm

Anything that is dark coloured or black, will absorb heat, that's just a physical fact, where light coloured or white will reflect heat. However some of today's cables sheaths have chemical properties that eliminate the damaging effects of UV and other detrimental influences... Most of today's better sheath compounds for external applications are plastic (PVC) based.

IF its an outdoor installation installed in the ground or around a garden. SWA is a must...or conduit. There is always a chance of accidental damage always. If its on the exterior of a house I always use flex!

Black pvc or rubber flex with a 1mm minimum csa.

Black has better resistance to uv degradation than white or grey. I buy mine from Edmundsons by the metre.

IF its an outdoor installation installed in the ground or around a garden. SWA is a must...or conduit. There is always a chance of accidental damage always. If its on the exterior of a house I always use flex!
It's on the exterior of the house (clipped on to the wall), so I will use flex. Thanks.

Last edited:
Good suggestions,but
I will say that I have yet to find these sun baked cables that have solidified and cracked, whether they be black rubber or pvc twin and earth

Other than mechanical protection is this real an issue

Even the young ones on here may be old men before any advantage of one type over the other becomes evident

I have 3 x 500 watt PIR floods fitted between 1999 and 2001 and have had white 1.0mm pvc flex fitted clipped direct 1 on the rear of property and 2 on side where drive is and nothing ever gone wrong with flex but the floods i have replaced a couple of times as wether thay B&Q cheapo or dearer from wholesalers they dont last but the flex has

I AM HAVING A PIR DONE OF THE COUNCIL CONTRACTORS TOMORROW

first one ever in all time i been in council property they were rewired 1988 so 23 year since last inspection and test lol
see if they come up with anything i let you know if they complain about the white flex was considering changing to black rubber or PVc flex as the regs say the colour should be preferably black even though as above poster says black absorbs and white reflects
on site it was just mainly T/E for show homes and armoured buried with flex coming out the conduit through box for the garden floods this was between 1988-92 so not as many products as there are now for suitably burying

Ive seen loads of PVC twin and earth cables that have been cracked due to uv if its not exposed to the sun it lasts longer ill try and find some pics

Engineer 54 you are right i made an error sorry about that chaps

Last edited by a moderator:
have at least 4 comfy chairs and a stool handy. the stool for the guy with the tester and the chairs for the other 4 blokes watching.

Reply to Choice of cable for outside lights. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net