Discuss Combining wind and solar systems in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rhsmyth

I am not an electrician.

I have recently had a 20kw turbine installed into a 3 phase meter and I also have a 4kw pv system installed into my house on a seperate meter. The turbine is likely to produce 45,000 kwh and therefore I am intending to install an export meter for the turbine.

What I would like to do is bring power from the turbine into the house, but my electrician is notsure whether or not it can be done. Before having him install new circuits I was wondering what members of the forum think the pitfalls might be of combining two systems on two meters.

Your thoughts welcome.

I think you might need to supply a little more information for us to asses it.

What supplies do you have. PV on house on one supply and turbine on another building on a different supply and meter? What is the turbine for now, type of building etc, commercial use? Distance from turbine supply to house?

All helps.

Mark I enclose a simple plan of the yard etc. The turbine is a C&F 20Kw turbine installed with four Power One Aurora inverters and is projected to produce 45,000 kwh pa. The solar panels are installed on the house and is a 3.2ish Kw through a SMA inverter projected to produce around 2,800 kwh pa.

The turbine's power goes directly into the 3 phase meter and at present there is no connection from that position to the main yard. I had been waiting to have the turbine installed before looking at the connection to the main yard and house. I appriecate that the cable and installation will be expensive, but in the long term it should be worth it.

My main concern is that I will be unable to install the turbine power into the house, without it 'leaking' into the grid at this point. I accept that it wouldn't matter at present as both systems are on deemed 50% export, so I don't have to direct power through an export meter. However I will never use half of the turbine power therefore an export meter will be required when Eon give me a price.

I intend to remove the second farm meter out of the equation when I connect across, but as the solar panels are connected to the house meter I don't propose to remove this one. Similarly it would give me a single phase back up if something went wrong in the 3 phase system.

Not straight forward, but then is anything?

Renewable Plan.jpg

I could always install a second export meter in the dwelling which should avoid any loses. Do you think this would cause any problems with the dno?

Reply to Combining wind and solar systems in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net