Discuss Complete shambles. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its your end ...if you open your paint software load the pic and save it, it usually loads the right way up..have this issue myself, are you using a galaxy phone by any chance.

Went to survey a job for a pv install today and came across this mess lol.

edit: don't know why the photo loaded upside down, could one of the mods turn it round please if poss.

Hope this work for you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 274
Its when someone calls you and says they need a new consumer unit, you turn up and find that, I always start scratching my head thinking why are things never straight forward! It should be easy enough on this to tidy up if thats what you are doing, I think there's more chance of faults on the circuits that a problem mounting a new board.

Well at least there are only 6 ? circuits and I see there's no seal on the Henley block.

Looks pretty standard for the time it was done, 60's?

That is bad but you must have seen the like of it before.

Out of interest, where are you going to connect the PV array in?

Yes definitely seen the likes of this before. I think what got me was the customers attitude towards it when I said it needs replacing/tidying up I got the typical "it's been fine all the time I've lived here and I've been here 26 years". I've priced it to replace the lot with a high integrity board and will put the PV on a 16 A mcb or rcbo depending on installation method on the main switch side. Tbh I probably won't even get the job as no doubt some other firm will go in and price just to install a sub board off the Henley block that is there and I got the feeling off the customer that only the cheapest will do.

Last edited:
Well at least there are only 6 ? circuits and I see there's no seal on the Henley block.

Looks pretty standard for the time it was done, 60's?

I tried finding the cover for the 1st 3way 3036 board but that was no where to be seen, all the cpc's are twisted together in to a 30 A connector block (not that they would do much anyway as there is no main earthing conductor).

The Henley block load side of the meter is sealed but that's no bother. The only decent thing about it is the DNO have replaced the cut out and have provided a suppliers earth ready to be connected in to.

Its when someone calls you and says they need a new consumer unit, you turn up and find that, I always start scratching my head thinking why are things never straight forward! It should be easy enough on this to tidy up if thats what you are doing, I think there's more chance of faults on the circuits that a problem mounting a new board.

Definitely.

Yes definitely seen the likes of this before. I think what got me was the customers attitude towards it when I said it needs replacing/tidying up I got the typical "it's been fine all the time I've lived here and I've been here 26 years". I've priced it to replace the lot with a high integrity board and will put the PV on a 16 A mcb or rcbo depending on installation method on the main switch side. Tbh I probably won't even get the job as no doubt some other firm will go in and price just to install a sub board off the Henley block that is there and I got the feeling off the customer that only the cheapest will do.

Whenever i get that logic-free statement,i always tell the client the other side of that coin,and say "What never works,till it works,then never works?"....
you usually get a minute or two whilst you further probe their antique install,then they ask "Go on then,what is it?"....

You can then turn off your torch,step back from their intake with a pensive look,and reply "A Bomb".

I have lost the ability to be amazed,at the condition of some intake arrangements and their owners treatment of same....

I visited a large industrial unit,i know well,and was intrigued to find the reason why the incomer,switchgear,meters and fusing, were all dripping wet...A 1M by 3M array of MEM,BILL and GEC boxes,400A TP....A roof leak? Maybe a flood?

No,they had removed the cupboard around it,to open up another 150mm access at the door,found it to be very dusty (installed in 60's),and pressure washed the lot,from top to bottom! :dunce2:

Whenever i get that logic-free statement,i always tell the client the other side of that coin,and say "What never works,till it works,then never works?"....
you usually get a minute or two whilst you further probe their antique install,then they ask "Go on then,what is it?"....

You can then turn off your torch,step back from their intake with a pensive look,and reply "A Bomb".

I have lost the ability to be amazed,at the condition of some intake arrangements and their owners treatment of same....

I visited a large industrial unit,i know well,and was intrigued to find the reason why the incomer,switchgear,meters and fusing, were all dripping wet...A 1M by 3M array of MEM,BILL and GEC boxes,400A TP....A roof leak? Maybe a flood?

No,they had removed the cupboard around it,to open up another 150mm access at the door,found it to be very dusty (installed in 60's),and pressure washed the lot,from top to bottom! :dunce2:

My reply is usually "Well Harold Shipman worked for years too".

]Went to survey a job for a pv install today and came across this mess lol.

edit: sorted

... no burnt neutrals, check; no melting plastic enclosures, check; fuses in line only, check; double pole isolation, check; ... come on L, what on earth is your problem?

Note to all, I hadn't looked closely and noticed the 'lack of earthing' when I wrote the above!

Last edited:
... no burnt neutrals, check; no melting plastic enclosures, check; fuses in line only, check; double pole isolation, check; ... come on L, what on earth is your problem?

No main earth, no lid to 3way 3036 board amongst many other things! I can pass the customer your details if you like? I'll tell them I've found a numpty that is more than happy to install a new circuit with no cert. :icon12:

I often wondered if taking a flyer round with the stats that show deaths last year in domestic dwellings from electrical fires caused by "aged" installations which have never been checked and have had all sorts added too over the years ect ect. It would probably be looked upon as scare mongering lol.

Reply to Complete shambles. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net