Discuss Consumer unit heights and building regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all,

Just wired the 1st house on a new site, consumer unit wired to location marked on plan which was in kitchen unit at high level.

Building inspector comes in and okays everything but the consumer unit height, says they have to be at 1350-1450mm, was a new one on me and we ended up pulling in a few new legs in to allow for dropping it down abit. Funnily enough 1400 would've been half in and half out of the kitchen unit so it couldn't go at his stated height anyway.

Just wondered if anyone has a better knowledge of the building regs than me and could enlighten me, I know I asked the NIC in the past (for what it's worth) and they said no requirements other than accessible.

Cheers

building reg. it's so that the kids can reach it to squirt jam and stuff in it.

I can understand the accessibility issue with part M.... but where does that rather precise height come from ? plucked out of thin air ?

I can understand the accessibility issue with part M.... but where does that rather precise height come from ? plucked out of thin air ?

That's what I'm wondering, my mate spoke to him not me, he said we've never done that on other sites before and the inspector said well maybe they're not working to the latest regs!

I would have asked to see something written down but I think the consensus between the builders and my mate was just keep him happy.

That's what I'm wondering, my mate spoke to him not me, he said we've never done that on other sites before and the inspector said well maybe they're not working to the latest regs!

I would have asked to see something written down but I think the consensus between the builders and my mate was just keep him happy.

If it's going to be a continued pain in the arse to mount at that height as you continue through these new builds, I would ask him for the written regs passages. I don't do new builds but I am aware that BS7671 and the building regs are not the only things you may be asked to satisfy.
If you are happy to comply then don't kick up a fuss, as a militant clerk of works/building inspector with a bee in his bonnet can be a right waste of your time and money.

Where abouts should I be looking for that ? I can't find any specific height for consumer units in the approved document.

You would need part M page 46 letter f
"Controls that need close vision" or in simple terms as I was told be able to read the labels we put on the CU.

You would need part M page 46 letter f
"Controls that need close vision" or in simple terms as I was told be able to read the labels we put on the CU.

I did see that note, and I would disagree with that but hey, I'm not about to hijack this thread. :D

So what height would you put CU so all can read/operate (sitting & standing persons)

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree that a person in a wheelchair should be ale to operate their circuit breakers...... It's the part about it needing close vision to normally operate. I would agree with that if the operator in question is vision impaired though. It's just another poorly worded piece of guidance.....
As I have said before I have not been involved with new builds since working for myself. Probably a good job as I would be constantly arguing about things like this... lol

New dwellings
Wall-mounted socket-outlets, switches and consumer units in new dwellings should be easy to
reach, in accordance with Part M of the Building Regulations (Access to and use of buildings).
NOTE:
Approved Document M recommends that in new dwellings only, switches and socket-
outlets for lighting and other equipment should be between 450mm and 1200mm from finished
floor level. Approved Document M does not recommend a height for new consumer units.
However, one way of complying with Part M in new dwellings is to mount consumer units so that
the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above floor level. At this height, the consumer unit
is out of reach of young children yet accessible to other people when standing or sitting.

New dwellings
Wall-mounted socket-outlets, switches and consumer units in new dwellings should be easy to
reach, in accordance with Part M of the Building Regulations (Access to and use of buildings).
NOTE:
outlets for lighting and other equipment should be between 450mm and 1200mm from finished
floor level. Approved Document M does not recommend a height for new consumer units.
However, one way of complying with Part M in new dwellings is to mount consumer units so that
the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above floor level. At this height, the consumer unit
is out of reach of young children yet accessible to other people when standing or sitting.
?

put it level with the top of the door like every other new build.

in my eyes its not functional, the circuits should not be switched back on till fault has been found and fixed.

there is no max hight for spotlights or batterns?

surely you swap the lamps more often than touch th ccu in your own home.

many people now have lived in there house for 5-10 years and dont know where the ccu is because they havent needed to use iit

New dwellings
NOTE:
?

put it level with the top of the door like every other new build.

in my eyes its not functional, the circuits should not be switched back on till fault has been found and fixed.

there is no max hight for spotlights or batterns?

surely you swap the lamps more often than touch th ccu in your own home.

many people now have lived in there house for 5-10 years and dont know where the ccu is because they havent needed to use iit

New dwellings
NOTE:

Where is this copied from?

the ccu can be at whatever height you want. personally as long as someone 6' can easily reach it.

put it above a door if you like and its still accessible

37772b51ad90e0d1a5d57a9d9b87ea6e.jpg

1f533fb0f91bb59a0089ae46b5715e68.jpg

Comes down to the way you ask the question imo.
"I've not heard that one before mate, where does it come from?" is more likely to be well received than
"That's complete and utter BS you bloody clown. You haven't got a clue so show me where you get that from and I'll believe you"
Ah, calling em clock suckers was clearly impolite :D

Reply to Consumer unit heights and building regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net