Discuss Consumer unit in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In some older houses you have the airing cupboard in the bathroom with all the immersion switches and pumps and sometimes the heating JBs all slung in there etc

Being in a cupboard arguably takes it out of the zone in the same way a FCU being under a bath does, and in the same way an airing cupboard/partition door does.

I was asked to fit a socket under the bath for a shower pump last week, I agreed to put a RCD spur in the hall with a flex from it and wiska box under the bath. It would have been unnecessary risk to have it under there.

Being in a cupboard arguably takes it out of the zone in the same way a FCU being under a bath does, and in the same way an airing cupboard/partition door does.
The only problem I see with the cupboard door argument is say the home owner is in the bath/shower the lights trip , they lean over and reach to the consumer unit and get a 240v belt while resetting the breaker Would a the cupboad door argument hold up in court

I was asked to fit a socket under the bath for a shower pump last week, I agreed to put a RCD spur in the hall with a flex from it and wiska box under the bath. It would have been unnecessary risk to have it under there.
If it wasn't acceptable, we probably wouldn't have whirlpool baths.

The only problem I see with the cupboard door argument is say the home owner is in the bath/shower the lights trip , they lean over and reach to the consumer unit and get a 240v belt while resetting the breaker Would a the cupboad door argument hold up in court
Unlikely to happen thought isn't it, probably more chance of slipping in the bath in the dark.

A lock on the door would solve the accessable without a tool issue and I doubt it is going to get wet. It is poor whatever way you look at it.

It could be relocated to the ceiling 😁.

A lock on the door would solve the accessable without a tool issue
I'm happy to be corrected, but what "accessible without a tool issue"? Completely from memory I thought that pertained to enclosures/junction boxes and I'm not picking up the relevance to this situation.

Regarding relocating it, I'd have thought the first question is whether it's currently on an external wall. If not the room behind the wall is the obvious choice.

I'm happy to be corrected, but what "accessible without a tool issue"? Completely from memory I thought that pertained to enclosures/junction boxes and I'm not picking up the relevance to this situation.

Regarding relocating it, I'd have thought the first question is whether it's currently on an external wall. If not the room behind the wall is the obvious choice.
Your right the without tool thing was referring to bath panels not cupboards. I still feel limiting access could make this a C3 instead of 2.

That would help, however where in the regs dose it define a tool or a key as being a way of avoiding zones?
It doesn't. But an electric shower mounted in zone 1 is only correctly IP rated for the zone if the cover has not been removed. The cover of an electric shower can only be removed by use of a tool. Same principal could be applied to any item of electrical equipment, if one was desperate to make it comply.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, there's no way I would want a consumer unit anywhere in a bathroom.

What’s your thoughts of a new renovated house that has the consumer unit in the bathroom. It’s situated above the bath in a cupboard. It was brought 2 weeks ago and have no certs. They want a Eicr done. Obviously the sockets has to go too.

Thanks
Who is the they that wants the eicr done?

Rather than trying to code against 7671, why not just go for that jugular; EAWR Regulation 5 and 6 (Strength & Capability and Adverse or Hazardous Environments) as these apply while you are AT WORK undertaking the EICR. If we must put a reg against it then I offer up 132.5.1; Electrical Installation must be suitable for the environment for which it is located and expected to operate in

I’m away and don’t have the book with me however from memory I think 701 discusses walls and partitions, not cupboards. What this mostly boils down to is suitability for the environment, which is a clear fail. However I’m also caused to question if it’s going to satisfy the requirements for all wiring to be RCD protected - I’d have thought the incomer is highly unlikely??

Non sparky comment :
Irrespective of regs, I would have expected a survey to have alerted me to the issue and consequently would have purchased only if I could afford to get it moved.
I would immediately secure the doors and put a warning notice on them. Despite this I would worry about condensation.
Would an IP?? Enclosure prevent high levels of humidity around the electronics of rods/rcbos etc.? Or do they run warm enough even at zero load that I should not be concerned?
Personally, my sparky would have to work hard to convince me NOT to move it. An elcr would presumably help sparky to determine how problematic a move is likely to be .

I’m away and don’t have the book with me however from memory I think 701 discusses walls and partitions, not cupboards. What this mostly boils down to is suitability for the environment, which is a clear fail. However I’m also caused to question if it’s going to satisfy the requirements for all wiring to be RCD protected - I’d have thought the incomer is highly unlikely??

An outlet socket on a landing directly outside a bathroom door less than an MTR away would be compliant as it's behind a door.

An airing cupboard with electrical heating etc in a bathroom behind a door is compliant.

Electrical equipment under a bath is also compliant.

An electric shower which has just a plastic cover and also has uninsulated connections inside is also compliant.

Because is behind a barrier, it's technically not in a zone.

If not in a zone, then IP rating etc shouldn't be an issue. ?

An outlet socket on a landing directly outside a bathroom door less than an MTR away would be compliant as it's behind a door.

An airing cupboard with electrical heating etc in a bathroom behind a door is compliant.

Electrical equipment under a bath is also compliant.

An electric shower which has just a plastic cover and also has uninsulated connections inside is also compliant.

Because is behind a barrier, it's technically not in a zone.

If not in a zone, then IP rating etc shouldn't be an issue. ?
See #38. Is said cupboard providing an  EFFECTIVE barrier.

Reply to Consumer unit in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net