Discuss Correct process for meter tails upgrade and isolator install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M-B-Electrical-Services

Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope you're all doing ok in this heat!!

I have recently carried out an EICR on a domestic property where it failed miserably. The consumer unit is an old MEM metalclad built in the 70's and requires replacement. The meter tails both on the supplier's side and consumer's side are 16mm and the earthing conductor is a 6mm.
Looks to be a TNCS shared supply.

My client is planning on adding a number of new circuits to his property including possibly an EV Charge point and electric gates.

Firstly, the shared supply will need to be upgraded to a dedicated supply with the 6mm earthing conductor replaced with a 16mm and the meter tails will require upgrade to 25mm with the installation of a double pole 100A isolator.

My client is with British Gas who don't seem to be easy to deal with according to my client who are suggesting to my client that the DNO (Electricity Northwest) upgrade the fuse/supply characteristics BEFORE they come in to upgrade the tails and install the isolator.
This goes against my experience in the past and I require some clarification on this as I feel he is being given incorrect information here.

Have things changed from a few years ago or something? It's always been energy supplier to come out first then DNO surely?

Have you spoken to ENWL directly regarding the looped supply I usually find it saves getting incomplete embelished secondhand info from the client plus the conversation you have with them will be on a different technical level if you can also speak to the clients energy provider so you have the full info to create a forward plan of what order things need to be done

Have you spoken to ENWL directly regarding the looped supply I usually find it saves getting incomplete embelished secondhand info from the client plus the conversation you have with them will be on a different technical level if you can also speak to the clients energy provider so you have the full info to create a forward plan of what order things need to be done
Hi UNG.

I've not had time to call anybody as of yet as I'm running 3 different sites and I'm swamped at the minute. :(

I'm on hold to ENWL right now so I'll get it dealt with. I just wanted confirm the correct process really.

Technically, as the main fuse would need removing it is the responsibility of the DNO to fit the isolator after the meter. Obviously the tails need safe isolation for tails/isolator install. I have found the DNO will allow me to supply isolator and just put the tails in on occasion. But invariably they charge something like £150 to do the whole job.

Technically, as the main fuse would need removing it is the responsibility of the DNO to fit the isolator after the meter. Obviously the tails need safe isolation for tails/isolator install. I have found the DNO will allow me to supply isolator and just put the tails in on occasion. But invariably they charge something like £150 to do the whole job.
Hi Vortigern,

You would think so wouldn't you but in this case, a British Gas engineer has come out today and installed brand new 25mm meter tails from the supply head to meter. He has then installed a new 100A double pole isolator and supplied that with new 25mm tails from the meter. He has handily reconnected the old 16mm tails from the CU to the new isolator in order that I don't have to come out to re-connect. I hope he's done a good job is all I'll say as I'm a stickler for neatness on my jobs.

This is the reason for the initial confusion as I've had conflicting information and was unsure who was responsible for what.

I have since learnt that ENWL will not upgrade a main fuse to 100A if 25mm tails are not in place already.

Another, more concerning issue is that the supply head is an old 1960-70's type and isn't designed to fit 25mm tails so the engineer must've cut the copper core to fit them.

I've learnt a lot today hahahaha. What a right old mess.

Well in fact meter is energy provider responsibility, before meter DNO after meter us electricians. Depends who is on the job really some will (like your case) take the main fuse out (naugty!) and some won't touch it.
You're right of course. I always wondered who was responsible for the tails between the head and the meter as now I've seen both the DNO and Supplier change them so I guess it's on a case by case basis?

Thanks for the input bud. Much appreciated. 👍

Reply to Correct process for meter tails upgrade and isolator install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net