Discuss Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The cable price rises here in Portugal are just plain mad, we use a lot of different cables but 4.00 mm singles ..OMG !

Look at the attached pictures, the same three drums of 4.0 mm cable purchased

1) January €126 for all three with tax.

2) 2 months later €155
for all three with tax.
for all three with tax.

3)7 month later €210
for all three with tax.
for all three with tax.

At one point when we were getting quotes on long runs of cable such as 10 mm or 16 mm 5 core the supplier would only give us a 2 day price guarantee !

Quoting rewires now is a challenge, have to make it clear about rising prices and not to delay on locking in the material cost.

How is it in the UK ??

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 23
If I were quoting jobs in that market place I would only be holding the price for 7 days

Cable prices are high in the uk compared to say 10 years ago but atleast they are fairly stable and when they do go up it tends only to be by a pound or two on a drum

Cable has risen significantly in cost this year in the U.K.
Really ? I have been buying my cable mainly from screwfix (last 7 or 8 months) and its only gone up by pence here and there. Twin n earth has been same price for the last 5 months from my local Screwfix

Screwfix have had 2.5 prysmain 100m rolls at £71.50 inc vat since around June

I know wholesalers do tend to mess about with their twin and earth prices much more frequently hence I decided to use screwfix this year. prices seem to be very consistent

I think the 50 quid + vat was the last drum I must have got from my wholesalers at the start of the year so just over 60 quid inc vat

Only paying 70 quid inc vat from screwfix the past 6 ish months so a tenner more than a year ago

I did expect prices to jump up more but screwfix have seemed to hold their cable price steady the last 6 months

not sure about the wholesalers as i dont use them for cable anymore

I feel it's gone up quite a bit over the last year.
Roughly £60 in January to £70 in October (2.5mm T&E 100m). That's a 17% rise in 9 months!

Roughly £60 in January to £70 in October (2.5mm T&E 100m). That's a 17% rise in 9 months!
For 2.5 T&E I was paying:
March 2020 £34+VAT (£40.80)
December 2020 £40+VAT (£48)
April 2021 £46.50+VAT (£55.80)

Haven't bought any since (too much stocked as it is!) and as per other thread I won't be doing so again, I'm on the right side of costs at the moment, and while I don't see prices coming down anytime soon it will come down again at some point. They seem to be somewhat more stable past few months than in the earlier part of the year

But thankfully they have been stable for the past 5-6 months , £71 for 100m of 2.5 isn't too bad

I half expected it to reach 100 quid a roll by now but it hasn't yet

Do not uses twin and earth here of course as all in tubes so singles and the odd 3 core flex at lights etc. Took me some time to get my head around that in domestics but more so that most Villas / homes have 3 phase mains in the quadro.

The cable price rises here in Portugal are just plain mad, we use a lot of different cables but 4.00 mm singles ..OMG !

Look at the attached pictures, the same three drums of 4.0 mm cable purchased

1) January €126 for all three with tax.

2) 2 months later €155
for all three with tax.
for all three with tax.

3)7 month later €210
for all three with tax.
for all three with tax.

At one point when we were getting quotes on long runs of cable such as 10 mm or 16 mm 5 core the supplier would only give us a 2 day price guarantee !

Quoting rewires now is a challenge, have to make it clear about rising prices and not to delay on locking in the material cost.

How is it in the UK ??
Cef here were only holding a quote on cable for 24 hours a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it's still that way now.

Screwfix puts up Prysmain cable price up 10%

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/prysmian-6242y-grey-2-5mm-twin-earth-cable-100m-drum/20967

It's getting more expensive for all materials across the board!
It looks like we are heading for another copper crisis (and not just copper steel aluminium ect) later this year as raw material extraction all but stopped due to covid and still hasn't come close to catching up with demand!
Sooo I'm keeping all my offcuts and buying a huge box of wagos!😄

My brother in law is a landscaper and some of his material prices have gone up 25-30% , even things like wooden posts and exterior grade wood has gone up in price massively

It's getting more expensive for all materials across the board!
It looks like we are heading for another copper crisis (and not just copper steel aluminium ect) later this year as raw material extraction all but stopped due to covid and still hasn't come close to catching up with demand!
Sooo I'm keeping all my offcuts and buying a huge box of wagos!😄
I always use up my off cuts where possible , couple wagos in the loft and you can make 20m of cable out of 2 x 10m off cuts

Bell wire for lighting and 1.5 for sockets is the way forwards

Reply to Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net