Discuss Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Screwfix puts up Prysmain cable price up 10%

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/prysmian-6242y-grey-2-5mm-twin-earth-cable-100m-drum/20967
Got a heads up last week from one of the wholesalers I use that their cable prices will be increasing when they get their next stock cable order in

Got a heads up last week from one of the wholesalers I use that their cable prices will be increasing when they get their next stock cable order in
My local wholesaler is £88 + vat for 2.5 twin n earth

They can't get anywhere near Screwfix on Prymian

I do remember buying 2.5mm T&E at about £14.00 for 100M, and it was red and black and if I remember solid green, but like that reel of cable we are both now past our best before date. 🥴

I put a selection of prices I paid for reels of 2.5mm2 T&E into an Excel sheet over the last 8 or so years.

1644170090161.png

When I started out most sparks used Copper Cable Company or ABB Cable , probably as this is what the big wholesalers stocked like WF and Eddies who were the big hitters in my area back in the day.
Cable never came in a cardboard box , Not until Prysmain came about and then all the big wholesalers moved to Prysmain in the nice boxes

When I started out most sparks used Copper Cable Company or ABB Cable , probably as this is what the big wholesalers stocked like WF and Eddies who were the big hitters in my area back in the day.
Cable never came in a cardboard box , Not until Prysmain came about and then all the big wholesalers moved to Prysmain in the nice boxes
BICC were the biggest cable company at one time and were behind the booklet pricing of cables they also produced those handy Cables and Tables booklets and they if I remember correctly were the first to pack cable in boxes and called it Reelpac nearly all the "booklet" cables came in boxes at one time
Back then when cable went up a new booklet was printed and when it went down the discount went up, who remembers the late 80's when the booklet price of 2.5 T&E was closing £1200 / 100m and the discount was 98.5% on one large order we were given 99% discount by one wholesaler

BICC were the biggest cable company at one time and were behind the booklet pricing of cables they also produced those handy Cables and Tables booklets and they if I remember correctly were the first to pack cable in boxes and called it Reelpac nearly all the "booklet" cables came in boxes at one time
Back then when cable went up a new booklet was printed and when it went down the discount went up, who remembers the late 80's when the booklet price of 2.5 T&E was closing £1200 / 100m and the discount was 98.5% on one large order we were given 99% discount by one wholesaler
I remember me old WF invoices priced cable stupid like that

another stupid thing back then was 5 and 6 foot tubes , they are trade something stupid like £80 for one tube with a 97.5% discount

I find Doncaster the nicest to work with . But prysmian the easiest to source from screwfix. I dont need to buy bulk and if I pay a extra £5 a roll ...the customer pays another £7-10 . I never lose out .
It used to be easy to get Doncaster from Toolstation but not so much now, I also quite like it.

Yesss ought to be the obvious place to get it, but I have also been fobbed off with some unknown brand cable from them before and not the Doncaster stuff advertised (was some 4C SWA, not T&E, not bought much of that).

It used to be easy to get Doncaster from Toolstation but not so much now, I also quite like it.

Yesss ought to be the obvious place to get it, but I have also been fobbed off with some unknown brand cable from them before and not the Doncaster stuff advertised (was some 4C SWA, not T&E, not bought much of that).
Only used Yesss a couple of times and probably never again the way they charge they are worse than CEF IMO for overcharging the last time I went into one of their branches I left the stuff on the counter and went elsewhere a bit further from the job and got the stuff for close to a third of the price Yesss were charging

Reply to Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net