Discuss Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I see inflation is running very high (9-10%) in some of the main copper producing countries (Chilie being the big one) , I am guessing this will soon be felt here in the Uk as in what a drum of cable costs ?

I am thinking for buying a couple dozen rolls of 1mm and 2.5mm t&e

I see Nick Bundy reckons 2.5 t&E will soon hit £100 per 100m drum (inc vat) soon

What do we reckon ? are we soon going to be wiring sockets in cable that cost £1 a metre 😵

Wickes have 2.5T&E for £71.50, if you have trade account with them it's £64.
I've recken prices will stabilise in the next 6 months or so. All this is just manufacturers try to get some profit back that has been lost because of the covid

I don't think it will stabilise, with all the other things going on in the world!
An article I read said by November there will be a huge shortfall in all raw materials, (can't find it currently) this will only push prices up further.
I'm not a doomsayer but it's not looking good on all fronts atm!
Sy

I have no immediate need for much cable, but part of me is wondering if I should buy enough for any jobs I might want to do in the next year (usual 2.5mm/6mm T&E for sockets/cooker and some 1mm T&E + 3&E for lights).

One good thing in Amendment 2 is 1mm usable for "power" now so no silliness of an alarm needing 1.5mm if dedicated 6A MCB but OK from 1mm if off light circuit, etc!

I have no immediate need for much cable, but part of me is wondering if I should buy enough for any jobs I might want to do in the next year (usual 2.5mm/6mm T&E for sockets/cooker and some 1mm T&E + 3&E for lights).
Some big wholesalers are limiting customers to a certain amount of drums of cable per purchase.
I know some big boy contractors who would buy cable by the pallet from the wholesalers but it sounds like they aren't being allowed to do this at the moment due to price volatility

Wickes have 2.5T&E for £71.50, if you have trade account with them it's £64.
I've recken prices will stabilise in the next 6 months or so. All this is just manufacturers try to get some profit back that has been lost because of the covid
Scrap copper etc is sky high so it's not all just profiteering.

Some big wholesalers are limiting customers to a certain amount of drums of cable per purchase.
I know some big boy contractors who would buy cable by the pallet from the wholesalers but it sounds like they aren't being allowed to do this at the moment due to price volatility

Order limits have nothing to do with price volatility, but due to supply issues. Wholesalers don't want to disappoint customers as they might take all of their business elsewhere.

Talking to one of the wholesalers reps recently and there is a whole load of prices in the pipeline over the next 2 - 3 months on a lot of materials

Talking to one of the wholesalers reps recently and there is a whole load of prices in the pipeline over the next 2 - 3 months on a lot of materials
My brother-in-law is a landscaper and he told me timber products are up about 20% on 2021

The price increases I've heard of coming through in the next few months range from 6% upto 20%, and cable is expected to be one of the biggest

It was mentioned
I was chatting to a manager of one of the big wholesalers are he reckons last year it cost $3000 to ship a container of cable to the UK , that shipping cost has now gone up to $12,000

Its only a matter of time before that 4 fold increase is passed on the customer

Scary Times

I was chatting to a manager of one of the big wholesalers are he reckons last year it cost $3000 to ship a container of cable to the UK , that shipping cost has now gone up to $12,000

Its only a matter of time before that 4 fold increase is passed on the customer

Scary Times
One of my customers works in international shipping and he says prices are all over the place depending on what route you are shipping on add to this the shortage of containers not helped by empty containers being in the wrong place.

The Evergiven getting stuck in the Suez canal created a big ripple in the shipping industry with ships subsquently held up waiting to get into port to unload / load because they had missed their arranged slot, the ports of New York and Loa Angeles had upto 50 - 60 ships at anchor waiting their turn to get into port for many weeks while they tried to catch up on the backlog

Reply to Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net