Discuss Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Customer has to pay .... it does not really affect us .they either want the work done or Not
Every trades person I speak to says exactly the same thing , the price rises just get passed on to the customer,
If they don't like the price don't have the work or pick cheaper materials in some cases

Although with cable you can't really 'pick' cheaper cable unless we start installing 1mm rings

Every trades person I speak to says exactly the same thing , the price rises just get passed on to the customer,
If they don't like the price don't have the work or pick cheaper materials in some cases

Although with cable you can't really 'pick' cheaper cable unless we start installing 1mm rings
If prices keep rising, off cuts will be used

Inflation is spiralling out of control, one has to wonder where it will all end, perhaps we are heading for WW3 and a re-set of our values.
Some Euro countries like Holland have already hit 10% inflation and that is without the war spilling over yet

I absolutely dread to think how high inflation could rocket to , if Putin starts to push his war beyond the Ukraine

There is a sparks who went round 7 or 8 wholesalers (including screwfix) and compared drums of cable prices.
No surprises , CEF was the dearest

There is a sparks who went round 7 or 8 wholesalers (including screwfix) and compared drums of cable prices.
No surprises , CEF was the dearest
I am actually surprised by that, I usually find CEF the cheapest when it comes to T&E, and has been the case for a few years now

What I don't pretend to understand is why the Government has not told the energy companies they can't put their costs up that much? Anyone have logical explanation beside "its more complicated than that"?

What I don't pretend to understand is why the Government has not told the energy companies they can't put their costs up that much? Anyone have logical explanation beside "its more complicated than that"?
Nice back handers in the way of consultancy fees and good jobs later etc .

Maybe they could command producers to limit their prices, if we're going to expect them to interfere with the market. Ultimately it is producers who are responsible for high prices, rather than companies who resell to consumers.

I am actually surprised by that, I usually find CEF the cheapest when it comes to T&E, and has been the case for a few years now

Much depends on who's buying.

I would pay £87ish, which is CEF list price for 2.5 T&E, but can't imagine my boss paying anything like that, while Screwfix would charge us both £80ish.

If the price comparison spark spends more time chasing prices for 100m of T&E, than actually buying the stuff, chances are they'll pay top dollar everywhere.

Pointless shopping around for T&E as everybody sells it for within a few percent of each other - yet everyone does it! Wholesalers must be laughing as they charge £12 for a box of screws or an extra £4 on a bulkhead fitting - yet sparks is happy he has saved 75p on a drum of 2.5!!

Pointless shopping around for T&E as everybody sells it for within a few percent of each other - yet everyone does it! Wholesalers must be laughing as they charge £12 for a box of screws or an extra £4 on a bulkhead fitting - yet sparks is happy he has saved 75p on a drum of 2.5!!
You may be saying this in jest , but some wholesalers literally do charge silly money on screws and washers etc.
As you say , cable is normally within 2 or 3 quid where ever you get it from , I near always get my cable from a screwfix as its on my way home

10% off screwfix orders

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/landingpage/screwfixapp/

With this app they are the cheapest t&e cable I can find anywhere in Surrey

Toolstation currently have an offer of £25 off if you spend £150, ends Sunday. I did consider buying a couple of rolls of 2.5 T&E with the offer, but haven't got round to it!
Thanks for the heads-up , I will jump to my local Toolstation in Guildford and grab 2 rolls of 2.5

Reply to Crazy cable price rises in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net