Discuss Crimping of flexible conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

One place I work insists on hex crimping. Though I find the crimper we use to be a bit hit and miss regarding the quality of the crimp. For my own stuff I use a normal crimper that punches into the back of the lug. It might not look as pretty but it gives a good solid crimp in my opinion.

Welcome to the forum.
I do not think there are any specific wiring regulations about crimps as it is more a tooling issue, however the crimping tool should be suitable for the size and type of crimp in use. So long as the tool and the crimp are compatible and both undamaged then the actual method of crimping should not be an issue.

I've just been reading the IET requirements for electrical installations 17th edition.
526.9.1 states "in order to avoid inappropriate seperation or spreading of individual wires of multi wire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends should be suitably treated."
526.9.2 states "soldering (tinning) of the whole conductor end of multi wire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors is not permitted if screw terminals are used. "

I've always twisted and doubled over; C&G 2365 say this is okay. But you must be careful of not over tightening in case you damage the fine wires. Although the more I think about it I will probably treat myself to some quality Hez crimpers.

So we know we can use "suitable terminals", (assume crimping), but can't tin; so otherwise what else is "suitably treated" ?

I've just been reading the IET requirements for electrical installations 17th edition.
526.9.1 states "in order to avoid inappropriate seperation or spreading of individual wires of multi wire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends should be suitably treated."
526.9.2 states "soldering (tinning) of the whole conductor end of multi wire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors is not permitted if screw terminals are used. "

I've always twisted and doubled over; C&G 2365 say this is okay. But you must be careful of not over tightening in case you damage the fine wires. Although the more I think about it I will probably treat myself to some quality Hez crimpers.

So we know we can use "suitable terminals", (assume crimping), but can't tin; so otherwise what else is "suitably treated" ?
if your using very fine wire, im thinking tri-rated not 6491b btw.
then it needs ferrule crimps or at lease ferrule sleeves without the plastic cap

I assume this would include just tinning the tips of the strands, as done by some manufacturers to flexible cables fitted to appliances and luminaires. Also a compression/welding treatment as used on flexible cables pre-installed in consumer units and on RCBO neutral tails.

Uninsulated ferrules which can be used with a standard ratchet bootlace ferrule crimper.

uninsulated-ferrules.jpg

Reply to Crimping of flexible conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net